Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Frankly speaking though, while it seems like Quim is the bad guy when talking about things that can't be done or open sourced
Nah, Quim's great, it's just that messengers unavoidably tend to attract fire intended for the mothership.

A lot of Harmattan UX is actually open sourced, much more than what was ever in Fremantle. Almost scaringily too much, some would say.
Such as? I never looked, taking the "open core/proprietary UX" statements at face value, but if those were bogus and there is actually useful UX code out there people should know about it :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Wheels on the bus go round and round...

*sigh* this looping discussion has gotten so old that it isn't even mildly amusing anymore.
Amusing enough for you to make a comment obviously. If there is something you don't like, just ignore it - please.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Such as? I never looked, taking the "open core/proprietary UX" statements at face value, but if those were bogus and there is actually useful UX code out there people should know about it :-)
QML components, or libmeegotouch (the things - minus the theme assets - that can make Harmattan apps) are both open source. The X11 compositor - mcompositor (hildon-desktop's smaller brother). meegotouch-home (the home screen for Harmattan). There's plenty more in terms of middleware once you start going looking, too - things like QMF (for email/messaging), ...

The main parts that *aren't* open are the plugins that do the logic for the homescreen/app switcher (newsfeed screen, launcher screen, etc) and the applications. Almost all libraries underneath those - that weren't directly UX related - are open.

Take a look on meego.gitorious.org sometime.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Wheels on the bus go round and round...

*sigh* this looping discussion has gotten so old that it isn't even mildly amusing anymore.
Specc beat me to it as i just seen your boring post so once again if you got nothing constructive to say then butt out ok because some of us are trying to get some answers to a failing community and some very serious problems.

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
QML components, or libmeegotouch (the things - minus the theme assets - that can make Harmattan apps) are both open source. The X11 compositor - mcompositor (hildon-desktop's smaller brother). meegotouch-home (the home screen for Harmattan). There's plenty more in terms of middleware once you start going looking, too - things like QMF (for email/messaging), ...

The main parts that *aren't* open are the plugins that do the logic for the homescreen/app switcher (newsfeed screen, launcher screen, etc) and the applications. Almost all libraries underneath those - that weren't directly UX related - are open.

Take a look on meego.gitorious.org sometime.
Can you explain why this community failed beyond and after the 1.3 Maemo update because the bits that are open are not allowing any progress on the Maemo OS.

Please dont quote the CSSU because i will just laugh at you ok.

Last edited by chemist; 2012-07-06 at 07:43.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Specc beat me to it as i just seen your boring post so once again if you got nothing constructive to say then butt out ok because some of us are trying to get some answers to a failing community and some very serious problems.
Sorry but I'll reserve my right to express my frustration on this topic especially when the answer has been made clear several times (also in this thread) and some people refuse to get that.

To me this looks like just another rerun episode of the 'gimme the sources' -show. Most people should know by now how the episode plays out. If someone hasn't seen it, the search functionality of this forum can be accessed from the right hand side of the page. Use it and enjoy the contructivity in the threads you find :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Can you explain why this community failed beyond and after the 1.3 Maemo update because the bits that are open are not allowing any progress on the Maemo OS.

Please dont quote the CSSU because i will just laugh at you ok.
Can you please explain how your (somewhat insulting, to the people working on CSSU) question about Fremantle is at all related to my answer as to someone asking what parts of Harmattan are open source?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thread has run its course. Closed.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
die abill die, flog_dead_horse, not really open, open-core, specc the troll