Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Obviously not user-changeable, so it will eventually die, but hopefully not for a few years yet.
Seems more like held in place with a metal clip than soldered to me. It should be changeable (especially since soldering batteries in is a pretty bad idea)

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Also note that the N900 can automatically update its clock from the network, presumably via NTP. Everything else is stored in flash memory that doesn\\\\\\\'t need a battery.
It\\\\\\\'s not NTP. At least on my N900, I do not get an option to enter an NTP server. And I believe there is a bug open, actually, about the lack of support for NTP (FIXEDINHARMATTAN?).

http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-final/clockd mentions \\\\\\\"Sends \\\\\\\"network time changed\\\\\\\" signal when operator time/timezone has been received from vellnet (when attached to network)\\\\\\\"

Gah, sjgadsby and his faster fingers... (I would click Thanks! but this proxxy doesn\'t seem to allow me to do so...)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Seems more like held in place with a metal clip than soldered to me. It should be changeable (especially since soldering batteries in is a pretty bad idea)
And who open the N900 for you or will you do it yourself?

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
It's not that hard actually, especially if the informed people here give us some pointers

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
I've not opened my N900, nor do I have any plans to do so, but the clip in the picture looks very much like the ones in my N800s. There the battery is indeed firmly bonded to the metal clip.

I expect Nokia has done the same in the N900. Otherwise, they'd likely use a plastic holder that cradles the battery. The flat clip alone wouldn't keep the battery from coming loose when the phone is dropped.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
With out-of-the-box software, the N900 can automatically set its clock via information from the cell provider, like most (all?) phones.
But see bug 5769. I think the moral of the story is never to trust the cell operator if you don't have to, not even to give you the time of the day accurately.

Network time protocol daemon (ntpd) is separate download from Extras/Extras-testing (I haven't checked which), but should be an easy one. It was always install-and-go on previous Maemo devices, and I don't expect that's changed with Maemo 5.
openntpd is in -devel & -testing. I have to start it manually after rebooting, but it seems to work OK otherwise.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
The N900 has a button cell battery. See the second photo on the first page (PDF link) near the top center.
Why use a battery, which will wear out making itself pointless after a few years, instead of a capacitor, which won't? It takes very little power to keep a CMOS clock ticking (if the design is sensible and it's not powering anything else), so a good size capacitor would last for days.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
The N900 has a button cell battery. See the second photo on the first page (PDF link) near the top center.
Cheers for your clarification.

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
There's something strange with the clock in the N800. It seems to be just too accurate. I'm not running ntp, and it must be a year since I updated its clock, but right now it's only 8 seconds wrong compared to the nearest accurate time server. I suspect there must be something in the N800 networking setup which does a lookup at one of the time serving ports to somewhere when you go online, to get a reasonably decent time.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Reviving this old thread in case someone has that pdf - the link is broken/server error right now.

I want to try and replace it and need to know its model no. or at least the specification (voltage etc.)

Have taken the board out of the n900 with the cell battery, but it seems bonded (or has done over the few years I've had the phone) to the terminals. Its useless anyway (phone forgets time in <0.3second when switching between batteries ie. unless I'm perfectly sliding newly (externally) charged battery in each time all aligned), so doesn't matter what I do with it as long as I don't break anything else.

I might try warming the terminals with a soldering iron, see if that loosens. But either way I don't think I can read anything the battery may have previously had on it regarding type code; I don't recognise its size, its tiny.

Anyone know the BIOS battery type/where to get replacements (ideally in the UK, but don't care much)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post: