Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Souseke View Post
I've emailed it to yourself, however here is the link
https://www.yousendit.com/download/O...cGtGOFJFQlE9PQ
The file has expired, can you repost it?
Many thanks.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
It's been awhile since my last post. I managed to finally test out the MSCIM Pen Power input after upgrading the phone to PR 1.2 firmware - which was a great choice, because I had plenty more rootfs space without deleting any apps. Even more better, the whole installation took only a couple of megabytes in the rootfs (instead of the 40MB mentioned in the Chinese website). It was only a 2% increase in my usage capacity.

Just to reiterate, this is to allow the Chinese input method found on the HK N900 to be used on phones with non-HK IMEI and I've to say it works brilliantly. The original installation file is already on the maemo extras-devel repository (with the same usual warning!!) and following the instructions posted on this Chinese forum. So all credit goes to them. For those who can't read Chinese and want to try, I've translated the instruction on a couple of posts back. For people who wants the patch, I've uploaded to here.

My thoughts:
  • Easy to use and works flawlessly
  • Handwriting recognition works perfectly - but only for Chinese characters though. Surprisingly scribbly Chinese is right on the mark, while numbers and English alphabets are harder to recognize and require a more "precise handwriting"
  • There's a couple of drawbacks, however:
    • On-screen keyboard is gone.. for good
    • FN-SYM/CTRL symbols layout is gone too (but can be compensated through handwriting recognition i.e ~ ^)
    • Maybe it's me or maybe it's the program, but it doesn't work in MicroB... tried a couple of key combos but the input still didn't not appear. Only method was to type the Chinese in notepad and then copy over to MicroB.
    • When typing in PinYin, you can only type one character at a time

Overall, I think this is a great Chinese input package, and best of all it doesn't gobble my rootfs! Out of all the input methods, I prefer the handwriting recognition because it's precise and fast.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to syncdot For This Useful Post:
there has been an update to penpower. do not update as the patch does not work anymore

Last edited by Souseke; 2010-06-22 at 07:42.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
The penpower still works fine here after the update. What does not work for you?

it says invalid imei

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Originally Posted by Souseke View Post
it says invalid imei
Just reapply the patch and it'll work. (i.e go through replacing the files and then doing the command line thingy)

Sorry i missed out on what you said earlier. Have you tried restarting the device after applying the patch? Mine gave me the IMEI error after updating, but went away after the patch.

Last edited by syncdot; 2010-06-22 at 22:09.

i did do that. what i forgot to do was restart the phone. doh! everything is working fine now.

hi does anyone know if there are Chinese apps or a Chinese catalog? Would be great if there's a real mahjong game.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by holysocks View Post
hi does anyone know if there are Chinese apps or a Chinese catalog? Would be great if there's a real mahjong game.
People are having hell lots of fun running old dos games with DOSBox, and I'm sure you wouldn't have problem finding hundreds different versions of DOS mahjong games from...google. XD
Attached Images

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malaysia
hello, anybody can send me the patch file for penpower n900, i can't download through the link above. Thanks.^^