So

Having played with some hobby apps in IOS I am fairly comfortable with Objective-C, Cocoa-touch etc.

I first started learning to code in C when Kernigan and Ritchie first wrote the book on it and when Slashdot still had IDs below 250,000

I like C, I am comfortable with it and I really dislike Java but not so much that I havn't used it.

What to do next for fun?

QT?
C - Good
Android integration - sort of
Cross platform - mostly
Limited API support - kinda
nice IDE - yes
Sailfish, Maemo/Meego - nice options (not concerned about WP)
LGPL - Confused, Ministro to deploy libraries or as a stand-alone, distributable application package (APK) and does that mess with my head about is it statically linked or not????
Open - well for now

Eclipse/Android?
Slow - no really slow and then it manages to slow down even more???
Open source - well sorta mostly
Future - Google beta of IntelliJ IDEA in the wings.
Java - yuk

IntelliJ/Android
Slowish - not really maybe
Java - yuk
Open - well for now.

Ho hum

rgds

Try Qt. The framework is great. Signals and slots is one of the coolest things I've had a chance to use. I do Java by day and learned some Qt as a hobby. Now I wish my day job involved Qt. QtMobility seems like a great API and I am eager to see how its implementation goes on Android.

@jackburton

thanks for the reply.

I have been leaning towards QT more and more.

Nothing against Java specifically, it just feels wrong, maybe I am tainted by my trials with it when it was version 0.slow and 1.yukky

QT has gotta be worth a play.

rgds

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Another thumbs-up for Qt here. I wasn't too sure about the framework when I first started playing with it, but I've gotta admit I've been sold on it since. Signals & Slots works surprisingly well, and it pretty much has all the features you really need for either apps or desktop programs. What I really like, though, is that it feels a lot more open than other APIs; while you can do everything in the Qt way (and thereby leverage their massive infrastructure), you can also just choose to write any old C/C++ code and add it into your app. Not long ago I needed to run an external process from my app, and rather than bothering to learn how Qt would do it, I just dumped a good old fork()/exec() into my code. And the app worked perfectly fine! (Of course, this means the app only works in Linux. If I do want to port that app to other platforms, I'll probably go ahead and figure out how to do it the Qt way in the future...)

Heyup Copernicus

Baby steps, manages to find my way around some of the QML frameworks, some of the older ones and some of the newer ones like Quick2.

Been messing around with QML mixed with javascript, to get a feel for developing the interface separately MVC style.

It looks very good / promising and it will be nice to use common framework for different mobile platforms.

The only issue I have found so far, it doesn't seem to support GooglePlay Market Licensing service, not sure yet if that will be an issue.

Which led me onto the obvious question around preventing copying between different devices within a platform Android, Sailfish etc and what does it propose, not seen anyone on the various forums discussing this yet.

WP8 won''t be an issue since I'll not be shipping on that platform.

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2013-09-09 at 15:34.

@JackBurton/Copernicus

Have to say, QT works pretty much flawlessly, adding c++ classes is a dream, and yes signals and slots work exactly as expected.

I managed to port my IOS apps almost entirely into QML/Javascript with a few core functions handed off to c++ as required.

Screen layout and design works like a charm even through rotations setting things like font sizes to a percentage of the current layout object for instance it renders excellently on all the different screen sizes and resolutions I have thrown it at.

Good choice, thanks

rgds