Hi! I've tried googling and reading various threads here to figure out how to get a bluetooth mouse (the original Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse, no less!) working with the N900.

I've read that page about /etc/bluetooth/main.conf, removing the profile "input" from the list of disabled profiles and restarted bluetooth, even the whole device. Thanks to this change I am able to search and find my mouse in the Bluetooth setup user interface, but pairing won't work - it requires me to enter a PIN code or it won't let me pair.

I've tried entering 0000 and 4102 (from the bottom of my mouse) as pin codes but it always fails to authenticate. Googling some more generic Linux bluetooth instructions, I run into command-line instructions for using hidd to connect to a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, but hidd is not present on the device.

I've tried pushing the "Connect" button in my mouse in various combinations of trying to pair etc. but no difference..

If I just downloaded the bluez stuff and compiled hidd in Scratchbox would I perhaps be able to get somewhere with it?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Your problem isn't with the HID bluetooth profile, your problem is with pairing a bluetooth device with your N900. You should be able to pair the mouse with the N900 just like with other devices, entering the PIN code, etc.

It probably just has to do with the order that you're doing things. Just keep trying...

Can you pair other devices, like a keyboard?

(EDIT: I have successfully paired my stowaway keyboard with the N900 after a few tries, but I haven't tried a mouse.)

Last edited by qole; 2009-10-26 at 18:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I just paired a Logitech bluetooth laser travel mouse using the code "0000" (haven't however hacked around to enable the mouse).

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Not sure what model # the "original MS BT mouse is, but their 5000 model has a "hardware-managed" mode which would likely need to be triggered by a PC connection first. That could possibly eliminate the need to pair using a passcode.

I'd recommend looking for basic BT connection support on MS's site if you haven't already. Here's the link for the 5000 alternative pairing as described above.

FTR, my BT GPS uses 9999, not sure if anyone uses 1234 at all. Keep stab stabbing away!

HTH

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I just paired a Logitech bluetooth laser travel mouse using the code "0000" (haven't however hacked around to enable the mouse).
Let us know if you are able. Lets see the iphone do that
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

I have tried the following:

- pincodes 0000, 1234, 9999, 00000000000000 on the N900

- Pairing the mouse to my Macbook running OS X 10.6; no go. It doesn't require me to enter a pin, but it fails to "connect" to the mouse even though it does discover it ok. No explanation for the failure is given.

- Pairing the mouse to Windows XP running inside VMWare on my Macbook, after having installed the Intellipoint software for Windows. I was given the option of "No passkey" and it paired and worked just fine.

The mouse is Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth (phew!), which is, I believe, the first Bluetooth mouse Microsoft did.

By the way, the Microsoft support article posted was mostly related to using the mouse with the Microsoft-supplied Bluetooth transceiver, which I also happen to have but which is obviously not very useful with the N900.

Basically I think the problem is that it's microsoft.. I'll try to get another kind of BT mouse for loan from somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to toninikkanen For This Useful Post:
Im considering purchasing a N900 and a bluetooth mouse sounds promising, especially when Nokia is considering the N900 not just a phone but a "mobile computer"

Please update and let us know if the bluetooth mouse will actually functions properly ie. right, left clicks and copy paste, thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If I could find a BT mouse that wasn't stupidly expensive, I'd buy it and try it out. But I just wouldn't use it enough to spend a lot of money on one. The N900's keyboard is quite good, and it has a good touchscreen, so I only tested my N800's BT keyboard once, as an experiment.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If I could find a BT mouse that wasn't stupidly expensive, I'd buy it and try it out. But I just wouldn't use it enough to spend a lot of money on one. The N900's keyboard is quite good, and it has a good touchscreen, so I only tested my N800's BT keyboard once, as an experiment.
All hail 30-day return policies! (just avoid places that now ding you for a restocking fee) Of course, it needs to be local/B&M.

@toninikkanen Ahhh, I skimmed over it just enough to miss the MS-branded transceiver. Yep, give it up to good ol' Redmond to change the playbook and do something different. Sounds like that model is a no-go for the N900.

Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
@toninikkanen Ahhh, I skimmed over it just enough to miss the MS-branded transceiver. Yep, give it up to good ol' Redmond to change the playbook and do something different. Sounds like that model is a no-go for the N900.
I had modest expectations of getting it work, since it did work with an Apple iBook back in 2004 when I last used it - so it has to be at least mostly standard. But I guess not completely