Hi,

Just wondering for all current and ex iphone/ipod touch owner what are the reasons changing your phone/gadget to N900 ? I know it can do so much, but other than multi tasking and flash, what does N900 "have" that make you change?

Do you still use/have your iphone/ipod touch? Or does N900 completely take over all the role of your previous gadget?

The pros of each gadget (also the cons for the other device)

N900
Multitask
Flash browsing
Open Source
Higher Resolution

Iphone/ipod touch
Multitouch
Apps
Better UI experience (smoothness)
Ease of use (newbie friendly)

The reason of these questions is I'm wondering if both gadget can be had side by side (complimenting each other) or will one cover the other gadget functionality thus replacing it completely in real world use (e.g. having a dedicated mp3 player and phone that can play mp3, eventually the dedicated player will be replaced assuming similar quality/storage)

For current/ex blackberry user, does N900 truly replace/replicate that crackberry functionality/responsiveness (e.g. always connected with real push email/instant messaging and ease of access to reply them) ? Coz so far all the push solution of other device (iphone included) comes with the price of battery drain and not real instant push, rather "delayed" pull feeling (checked every x minutes).

Thx for all the reply

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I bought the N900 and that's actually the device that I leave at home for the time being. I carry an iPhone 3GS and a BB Bold on daily basis.

Some random thoughts... (don't stone me)

BB
+BB Messenger + BES/BIS integration = irreplaceable
+Great for int'l roaming; their compression gateway is good
+Great keyboard (to me, it's even better than n900's)
-Shitty browser
-Trackball cursor sometimes uncooperative

iPhone
+Great app selections. There truly are plenty of great gems in the AppStore.
+Consistent UI across apps, very responsive and very useable for 1 handed use.
+Probably best file/document viewing implementation for the form factor.
-Apps Sandboxing is a two edged sword (no shared data store, background alarms, etc)
-Need bigger battery (no, I don't need it to be replaceable)

Comments:
=Screen resolution is just right for the screen size
=Fart apps debacle was overblown
=Flash on a handheld is way overrated

N900:
+nicest screen resolution
+multitasking
+Platform with the most (unrealized) potential
+Lots to tinker and configure
-Lots to tinker and configure
-Maemo6 vs MeeGo vs Mer (???)
-Worst development tools/marketplace
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
BB
+BB Messenger + BES/BIS integration = irreplaceable
+Great for int'l roaming; their compression gateway is good
+Great keyboard (to me, it's even better than n900's)
-Shitty browser
-Trackball cursor sometimes uncooperative
Seconded.

Plus BB is the only that my company endorses, because of the security features it offers, and because it's fully integrated.

I mean... You can send an SMS or email with conference bridge number and conference code in it, and when the guy clicks on it it automatically dials the number and logs them into the conf call...

Hard to beat that for business people.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
My reasons for switching from an iPhone 2G are as follows (not necessarily in order of importance):

1. I was tired of Apple's and at&t's collusion to have the device locked to the carrier. Every time there was a new firmware I had to wait for the jailbreak/unlock hack to become available and spend 30-45 minutes unlocking the phone.

2. I've been using T-Mobile since 2005. Recently, T-Mobile upgraded their service in my area to 3G and I wanted to be able to use the faster internet speed. There were only a few devices that operated on the 1700 MHz spectrum and I didn't want any Motorola or Samsung.

3. Everywhere I went I saw people with their iPhones 3G and 3GS. I wanted to be different.

N900 is my phone and internet device now. I gave my iPhone to my younger brother.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I used to use an Ipod. And then as soon as Nokia smartphones started offering the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, the ipod got replaced, and I've never looked back.

My N96 was awesome, it had dedicated media player controls.

The N900 still is an MP3 replacement for me, but I have come to the realization that it's not as good as previous N-series smartphones' mp3 capabilities, in some regards... But I still enjoy listening to music on it... as I text and email people... and check professor's notes and solutions pdf's all at the same time

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ athens/greece
straight things..
iphone easier to operate than N900.
N900 is a tool.
iphone can "fart" and "drink coffee".
the choice is yours.

i mean the n900 has usable functionalities while iphone has thousands of silly stuff but it is very poor in real capabilities of a mature man.

BB Messenger = Ovi Contacts
BES = Nokia Messaging

BB Messenger + BES/BIS integration = replaceable

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
BES = Nokia Messaging

I feel that Nokia missed a huge opportunity with Ovi Contacts.

I am from Nigeria (but live in the UK). In Nigeria there are no contracts with free calls and the cost of calls is ridiculously expensive. Every single person buying a phone now gets a blackberry because they can communicate on blackberry chat for free instead of spending tons on calls. If they want to meet up with friends, etc they just use Blackberry Messanger. I have heard that there are other developing countries that the situation is similar.

The thing is these are all millions and millions of people that are buying new devices because of chat. But guess what phone almost all these people had before? Nokias!!! If Nokia had found a way to include a free chat programme on their phones then these people won't have had to replace their Nokias and new users would have been considering getting Nokias. Now it is a no brainer. Absolutely no one in Nigeria will buy a Nokia phone now instead of a blackberry. And we are talking about a market of around 30 million people (with some people with up to three blackberries). If you add in a similar situation in the South American countries and other African countries then you see how much of a lost opportunity it is.

However, to be honest I am not surprised that Nokia missed such an opportunity. No matter what fans may say Nokia has not been known for much innovation recently.

As for the iphone the media player is a million times

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Every single person buying a phone now gets a blackberry because they can communicate on blackberry chat for free instead of spending tons on calls. If they want to meet up with friends, etc they just use Blackberry Messanger.
I don't understand. S60 has had MSN Messenger for a long time, and Ovi uses a standardized protocol, but people would rather have a proprietary chat system developed only for a single type of phone. Wtf.

And these same people are apparently happy to be limited to one phone manufacturer indefinitely, just because of their choice of chat app. Insanity.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2010-02-27 at 15:43.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
BES = Nokia Messaging

You may need to read a liiittle bit more about BES/BIS functionalities before offering alternatives for it.

Just sayin...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!