Hi

After reading the many bugs i dont know whether to go for the update or not.

Things working fine have stop working, problems in the biggest asset the MicroB browser have also been noticed by some.

Does Nokia know about this, Peter@Maemo marketing and others do they know about this. What are they saying.

People have waited so much for this update but when it come its buggy, was nokia pressurised to bring this update earlier than they wanted, or is it using us again as the guinea pig and keeping the developers to improve it....

The question you should be asking is "Does Nokia CARE about the PR 1.2 problems?"

The answer is no

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
I flashed with PR 1.2 with the command line flasher and then restored apps/settings/contacts from a backup. I have found the system to be much more responsive and haven't notice any major bugs after pretty heavy use the last couple of days.

A lot of general weirdness can accrue if you have used your N900 a lot since initial release, installed a lot of third party apps, etc. I would recommend flashing from scratch and restoring from backup afterwords. It hardly takes any longer than an OTA update and you are left with a pristine system.

I am sure that this release, like those previous, have quite a few bugs, I just haven't experienced any personally. The best thing to do to make sure they get fixed is to check bugzilla to see if the issue has been reported and then, if needed, create a bug report.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
I am sorry to say that, but I am not expierencing a single problem.

I have to admit that out of curiosity I flashed the RootFS Image, this might very well save a lot of problems compared to the OTA update, I can not say anything about that.
On the other side the backup utility makes this very, very easy to reflash and restore. Maybe people experiencing problems have a way out by doing this.

Best regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

I haven't experienced bugs. Thought i did reflash my N900 before updating.
I think with the overclocking, transitions mods and what not before OTA updating there might be problems.
Not to say PR1.2 is bug free, but i don't see reason not to update.

Contrary to popular belief, pr 1.2 isn't buggy. Sure it has some bugs like the Nokia Messaging on widget thing but on the whole the device is better than it was before the update

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I've used mine heavily for 6 months now and no problems. I've never flashed the phone. Just accepted the OTA updates and been careful what I install.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Log bugs on the bugtracker please.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I have got this device a week back, havent downloaded any third party app from the repositary, not much used. Should i just update from the app manager ie the OTA update.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
After reading the many bugs i dont know whether to go for the update or not.
Typically it goes like this:

(a) People who have problems complain here.
(b) People who don't have problems, won't say anything.

So you'll only observe those who have problems.

Personally, I haven't seen any new major bugs in PR1.2. I'd say go for it, it's supposed to be better than the old one.

As for Nokia being aware, I'd say yes. But software that has changing requirements will never be complete, and they had to release it already. There was a dangerous amount of pressure being built up in people's heads around here, they might have started to pop in another two weeks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post: