Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
How hard can it be to take a working .desktop file (for instance .abstract1.desktop), modify it in notepad and put it back along with four images correctly referenced? Why are people having such problems?
That's exactly what I'm doing: taking the working .desktop file, editing it exactly as instructed, making sure the path is exactly right, loading it to n900 via USB into the .images file, and disconnecting (Otherwise you can't do much at all on n900).

Then I go to 'change background' and I see 'Image set - Bubbles' but the thumbnail beside is it blank. It's not finding the images. If I choose it, nothing happens as the images aren't found.

Now, I don't know what I'm doing that is different from what you're doing - cos if I knew that, I'd do it right, yes? I've pasted the path I'm using higher up the trhead, and no-one could tell me why it doesn't work. I know I'm stupid but it doesn't help just telling me that!

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I know I'm stupid but it doesn't help just telling me that!
You're not stupid Could you paste your entire .desktop file? Are you absolutely sure each photo is a working jpg and exactly 800x480 pixels in size? Are you absolutely sure you don't have the same Name= in the .desktop files for two different sets?

Could you send me your four images and the .desktop file? I'll pm you with my email address. It would be interesting to see if the exact same wallpaper that fails on your device works on mine.

Ok I've tried this with 5 different .desktop files & image files & first it wouldn't change background then after editing the .desktop file it will show the Image Set - Ornament Rainbow but doesn't show any images.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
make sure you have no 'leftover blanks' behind the file name of the image. i noticed when you download the desktop file from n900wallpapers there are added spaces behing the filenames, so when you copy and past that part over you get it wrong. linux is pretty hard on the syntax

and make sure you use a proper editor, since windows doesnt care much about that...

Last edited by mason; 2009-12-02 at 14:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mason For This Useful Post:
Thanks mason. I was having the same problem as above (creating an apparently valid .desktop file with images in the correct place), using the .desktop from n900wallpapers but not having it work (even though it was listed). I removed the spaces from the end of the file name lines with Vim and it worked perfectly.

glad to hear i was right

@code177 wouldn't it be easier to stuff the loopable wallpapers into a single zip file or something including the .desktop file? and pls fix the tailing space in it... thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Hmmm one of the sets I want (bubbles) is actually png files rather than jpg. Though the star field is definitely .jpg.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have fixed the tabs at the end of the filenames in the .desktop files Hopefully this will make things work out better.

Thanks for figuring this out!

(sidenote since it was asked again - I anticipate that Prismic will be a one time cost of $4.99)

The png files are working fine, i tried them allready. Reload the file again since code177 fixed it on the site.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
code177, your background manager, Prismic, should be licensed and put on every device by Nokia. You should see if there's a market for such a thing. Imagine a $0.40 per device royalty would do you good with the way sales are going, far better than selling for $5 on your site. Ever thought of that? I'm working with a guy with a SoLo app that is working on such a deal, and I've learned quite a bit being involved in the process.