Closed Thread
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Well, I shouldn't make any generalizations but at the moment, Samsung is the company that brings new product to the market that people buy. LG may be earlier with some features but people don't buy it. And South Korea as a whole is much less playing catch-up than five years ago, three years ago.

Also, even China is starting to innovate. They're well aware that they've been a follower for all these years, and are trying to change their engineers straight out of the educational system. If they can manage to drop the idea of only copying the best, the rest of the world is in trouble.

There's no telling who is innovating at any given time, all products we see now are the results of a mainstreaming process that takes years to reach the market.
Don't know why my Korean manager used to say: "Samsung is good at making TVs and refrigerators; not mobile phones"

It's no lie that Samsung used to make phones nobody wanted. That was then, this is now. Samsung now is the biggest phone manufacturer, as it has passed Nokia. People, the largest number of them, would now rather buy Samsung phones. And it's not the only segment Samsung is "good at", they're generally aiming for top 2 in any segment they get serious with. Many of which they have succeeded.

I need a new sig

Last edited by volt; 2012-08-08 at 06:24.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
S40 may well be NOKIA's 'main business' now but, lest we forget...
"Elop's Microsoft announcement has effectively bankrupted the Nokia Symbian smartphone unit which made 20% of Nokia phones, generated 30% of Nokia revenues and produced a whopping 40% of Nokia profits when he took over. He killed his cash cow. Voluntarily."
... T. Ahonen

Where's your evidence for that? It seems much more likely Elop's Lord and Master told him he wasn't allowed to play with anything Linux.

The Ashas are more interesting than the Lumias. The Asha 303 looks like it should be a slider, if it was I'd quite like one.

Since dropping Symbian for WP7 NOKIA's gross margin for smartphones has reduced significantly.

Yeah, right...

Say what? What could be more 'blocky' and 'conservative' than WP7? Live Tiles are the blockiest, dullest Plasmoids I've ever seen!
I don't see what Symbian has to do with S40. But you are right, let's attribute everything to a sinister plot to slowly destroy Nokia. And while we're at it, the moon landing never happened and Elvis is alive.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It is sad to see how many Symbian apologists are still left, and how many misinformed people think that Elop's job was to destroy Symbian. Very sad how myopic such thinking is.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
I don't see what Symbian has to do with S40.
You said S40 was NOKIA's 'main business', I was just pointing out that NOKIA used to have a very successful smartphone division that may well have qualified as being regarded as their main business.

S40 is NOKIA's main business now but for how long will that survive seeing as it's the latest division to start receiving Elop's magic touch?

That man should be forced to walk round NOKIA wearing a sandwich board with 'W4nk3r' written on it.

How long before licensing income from patents becomes NOKIA's main business?

But you are right, let's attribute everything to a sinister plot to slowly destroy Nokia. And while we're at it, the moon landing never happened and Elvis is alive.
Actually I'd say the destruction's been really rather fast.

Ah well... I've got to go now, I'm having lunch with Elvis.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
I don't see what Symbian has to do with S40. But you are right, let's attribute everything to a sinister plot to slowly destroy Nokia.
They were to be part of the same ecosystem, along with Meego, all joined together by Qt.

Doesn't have to be a sinister plot. Pure incompetence will do it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This quit being a thread about stock, and just another endless pissing contest. Plenty of threads for that. Closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen