Active Topics

Notices

Hi. i did a simple latency test by recording the built in metronome and it seems my previous estimate was wrong. But i have restarted my phone since las time i used it.

The tracks does not display a waveform in fillmore (bug?) so its hard to see on the n900. I exported and measured it to about 133ms in audacity.

I'll test my nokia headset on a iphone when i get the chance. it sould indicate if mentioned cable would work. I think the impendance from my fender electric is wrong for the maemo mic input without a DI box, but my sm58 mic should work. Hard to say if the PRS cable has built in impendance correction, the website is weak on technical details, but in the video the guitar has that fizzy sound you get from plugging directly in to a PA system. http://prscables.com/guitarbud

The Following User Says Thank You to froh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Please excuse my ignorance but can this be installed via app manager or is a case of "If you have to ask then leave it alone for the time being". would love to have a multitrack. the simpler the better.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but can this be installed via app manager or is a case of "If you have to ask then leave it alone for the time being". would love to have a multitrack. the simpler the better.
Somewhere in between
It's working okay for those who have overclocked but very poorly for those that haven't. If you are comfortable with overclocking and running pre-alpha software you'll be fine. It's up to you

It isn't in any repos yet but, as long as you have the dependencies you can install by clicking the the link on the first page.
To get the dependencies you'll need extras-devel enabled and to run as root:
Code:
apt-get install libgee2 gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra libxml2
Then install from the link.

If any of this doesn't make sense or makes you uncomfortable then come back later when things are more stable. Otherwise, give it a go and let me know if you get stuck on anything - feedback is always welcome.

cheers

Last edited by mr id; 2011-01-03 at 12:19. Reason: CODE markup missing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by froh View Post
Hi. i did a simple latency test by recording the built in metronome and it seems my previous estimate was wrong. But i have restarted my phone since las time i used it.
Always interested in metrics. What speed are you running your n900 at, and what was the latency you were getting? I know it's sizeable (it's never going to be real-time and pulseaudio has an impact on this as well)

The tracks does not display a waveform in fillmore (bug?) so its hard to see on the n900. I exported and measured it to about 133ms in audacity.
Definitely not a bug, sounds like a feature request to me Thanks a lot for the numbers.

I'll test my nokia headset on a iphone when i get the chance. it sould indicate if mentioned cable would work. I think the impendance from my fender electric is wrong for the maemo mic input without a DI box, but my sm58 mic should work. Hard to say if the PRS cable has built in impendance correction, the website is weak on technical details, but in the video the guitar has that fizzy sound you get from plugging directly in to a PA system. http://prscables.com/guitarbud
As I said I'm pretty sure that the pole ordering is different between the devices but I would love to be proved wrong - did you get a chance yet?
I've also been playing around with HEN mode and USB ADC devices but we're missing some kernel/module magic to get the audio devices registered and available. They enumerate and show up in the logs correctly but they aren't registered for audio (they also burn power at an alarming rate).

Thanks again for your feedback.

I wouldn't have a notion about overclocking. I'm on v46 thanks to h.e.n. I would however have a go at installing seeing as no major problems have been reported. Just want to clarify. In xterm,

sudo gainroot

Then the code posted above,

Then download the link and install with app manager.

Sorry for not having a clue, but would like to learn.

Thanks

I wouldn't have a notion about overclocking. I'm on v46 thanks to h.e.n. I would however have a go at installing seeing as no major problems have been reported. Just want to clarify. In xterm,
sudo gainroot

Then the code posted above,

Then download the link and install with app manager.
After you've installed the dependencies download the link with the browser on the n900 and it will start the app manager automatically.

I've not seen or heard of any problems other than the app not running well for all users, nothing that has affected the general functionality of the device itself.

Currently, you need to overclock to 800 or above to get a good experience. You can always clock back down to stock afterwards.

good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Well my first play with xterm was a success. On first play I had the same expected issues as already reported but will leave more detailed feedback later.

Just tried my headset in my wifes iphone. sounded like s***e, but will have a go with the iphone headset in the n900.

Thanks for your help. Next stop 800mhz

iphone headset does not work, headphones or mic. Bummer.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
iphone headset does not work, headphones or mic. Bummer.
Thanks for the confirmation but it really was to be expected. Still, you've provided proof where it's needed. Thank you.

Just to point out though, the mic on the n900 is pretty decent and you can use any standard headphones you like (just not any headsets you like).

Learning day for me. Messed around at 600 mhz with expected results. No playback whilst recording and little playback when playing. Went to 800mhz and playback of track 1 was fine most of the time but intermittant whilst recording track 2. Playback of tracks 1 and 2 worked better when pressing play and then hitting the back to start button. Worked fairly smoothly at 900mhz with only the odd playback error, tried track 3 but zero playback from 1 and 2, no suprise I guess. This was done using the nokia headset, offline mode and desktop widgets deleted.

Would love to help but

10 PRINT ARSE
20 GOTO 10

was about as far as I got.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post: