Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Regarding the instructions: Looks like wget should be included for install in the original debootstrap since it is used to get the repo key. I had to install it just prior to getting the key.

and I had to #export LC_ALL=C to avoid errors with locales

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-13 at 00:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Thanks, i'll add that to the guide.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
UPDATE: added md5sum and binutils to the guide to help fix debootstrap issue that some people have been reporting.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Doh!...More changes to the guide related to problems I was having. Seriously, I'm not meaning to be annoying with this. I'm just hoping to help create a guide that will work for everyone. Sorry, if my constant additions and remarks are getting on your nerves! Just let me know and I'll back off. I'm just excited about all of this and want to help other people learn to use it too.

No problem , in fact, i really appreciate the feedback and to know what needs changing/re-arranging. That's how you can create a successful project.

btw, fell free to stick around as long as you like, appreciate it

Last edited by b-man; 2009-01-16 at 04:33.

I just installed the mer bootscreen and all I can say is...Woah! Hats off to whoever made it. It is nice.

I also have a few more additions. I was originally having trouble with getting the apt-get commands to install from the right repositories. I found out, I had to install them individually or I would always end up with jaunty packages instead of the preferred mer ones. Not really sure what is causing this other than I noticed some of the packages are only available in jaunty and this could be messing it up...but, for me, I could only get the apt-get -t command to work properly by installing packages individually. I had to actually type in the package version in order to get it to install the mer version of xserver-xorg-input-tslib.(Edit: you seem to have already noticed this and fixed it)

I could only get the hardware clock to set correctly by placing the same line that you added to hwclock.sh to /etc/default/rcS which should be fine since we're already adding the CONCURRENCY line to it too.

Also, mer-rescue-menu depends mer-omap-fb-splash which has a conflicting file with usplash which is depended by ubuntu-desktop. So, to install ubuntu-desktop mer-rescue-menu and mer-omap-fb-splash must be removed.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-16 at 07:10.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Or just install ubuntu-desktop first, then mer-rescue-menu

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
I just installed the mer bootscreen and all I can say is...Woah! Hats off to whoever made it. It is nice.

I also have a few more additions. I was originally having trouble with getting the apt-get commands to install from the right repositories. I found out, I had to install them individually or I would always end up with jaunty packages instead of the preferred mer ones. Not really sure what is causing this other than I noticed some of the packages are only available in jaunty and this could be messing it up...but, for me, I could only get the apt-get -t command to work properly by installing packages individually. I had to actually type in the package version in order to get it to install the mer version of xserver-xorg-input-tslib.(Edit: you seem to have already noticed this and fixed it)

I could only get the hardware clock to set correctly by placing the same line that you added to hwclock.sh to /etc/default/rcS which should be fine since we're already adding the CONCURRENCY line to it too.

Also, mer-rescue-menu depends mer-omap-fb-splash which has a conflicting file with usplash which is depended by ubuntu-desktop. So, to install ubuntu-desktop mer-rescue-menu and mer-omap-fb-splash must be removed.
Thanks, i'll add some of that stuff to the guide.
Also, i might need to tweek apt-pinning a bit more to prevent packages from colliding with eatch other and i might end up having to build a "ubuntu-rescue-menu" and "ubuntu-omap-fb-splash" to override usplash's script.

Btw, i've created a pre-built basic ubuntu jaunty rootstrap with root/user passwords pre-set and also includes xserver-xorg, aptitude, deselect, mer-rescue-menu, and pre-configured system files. All you would need to do is extract it to a partition and install a desktop env and then you would be good to go . i'll post the link with information on the first posst.

I just did a reinstall with gnome using these instructions and I've managed to get it to boot but I end up with a dark blue background with a mouse cursor on it (and no wallpaper). I can move the mouse by clicking th screen, but the rest of the gnome environment never seems to load. I also checked to see if the problem was gnome by installing xfce and got the same thing.

I'll take a look and make sure I have all of the packages set up that you recommended, but I'm curious as to if you might have any ideas of why gnome might not be loading (fully) on its own.

Do I need to tell gdm to load gnome or should that just be default?

Hmm, it looks like there might be a problem with xsessions loading gdm properly. i'd suggest that you check to see if the line '/usr/sbin/gdm' is in /etc/X11/default-display-manager or to see if /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc is available, but other than that i can't think of a nother way to fix that atm . (i'm having a fuew issues with startup myself atm)

Also, gdm (shuld) automaticly start up, unless /etc/X11/default-display-manager is empty.

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu