Active Topics

Notices

i like this.
man im liking this.
will try it when things are going straight.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Mr. Id I have been waiting for an application like this since I got my n900!! keep up the good work man!

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
i installed the app v1.3 after installing the 2 missing dependencies but it still wouldnt start, but it does now after installing myDicto so there are other missing dependencies not listed for the installation procedure,
and playback dont work, looking forward to an update to fix that

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Hi,
i also have the problem with sound.
I only can hear something for a fraction of a second.
I hope there soon is a solution.
it looks really promising..

The Following User Says Thank You to lq_sunshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by lq_sunshine View Post
Hi,
i also have the problem with sound.
I only can hear something for a fraction of a second.
I hope there soon is a solution.
it looks really promising..
Thanks for the feedback, this is the current expected behaviour at stock speed unfortunately. I've been working up various tests to see what can be expected to be reliable, sadly the best I seem to be getting is two playback tracks and one record at stock (this is not with Fillmore but just with some test applications with gstreamer).

What this suggests is that the way Fillmore is written may never be viable at stock speeds whilst being very usable at 900Mhz+

I'm currently working up two streams of development, one to finish Fillmore as is and just accept that it requires an overclocked device, the second is a seperate application which I had started previously that is more limited visually and in terms of track layout but is focussed on being usable - due to a more destructive editing approach (bouncing tracks together to limit the number of actual streams being processed).

The plan is to make significant progress over the Xmas break - weather permitting.

I am lookings forward for the new versions of fillmore..
Maybe i have to do some overclocking.
I overclocked my n900 when i was on pr 1.2 but with pr 1.3 i was very happy with the stock speed.
have some nice xmas days

sunny

Fillmore is a really interesting application, Iwas exited when i found it. But it has one big issue. It seems to not do any latency correction. I have to manually adjust offset because of latency caused by buffers. If not, my guitar tracks become one big sauce of string noise. (my playing is bad enough without this effect )

The latency seems to be around one second on my device. I have recorded on linux with among others the Ardour app for some time, and it looks like dropping pulse as a backend might help. Jack might not be feasible on maemo, but using alsa directly could be a solution. A purpose built multitrack recorder for maemo is in my opinion the way to go, and it would be really usefull to me.

Features are not that important, a simple and stable app is what we need. but at least four mono tracks and mabe simple moving, edge sanpping and muting of clips would of cource be nice.

Simple export to Ardour would be useful.

I'll need an adapter to connect a proper microphone. Have anyone here seen one, or do i have to solder one from some nokia handsfree?

Frode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to froh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Originally Posted by froh View Post

I'll need an adapter to connect a proper microphone. Have anyone here seen one, or do i have to solder one from some nokia handsfree?

Frode
http://prscables.com/blog/category/prs-guitar-bud/

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
http://prscables.com/blog/category/prs-guitar-bud/
Have you or anyone tried one of these? I was under the impression that the iPhone adapter was wired differently than what an n900 one would need to be - but I haven't actually tried and couldn't find any suitable accessories on my travels around.

joerg_rw posted a reference document recently over here for the headset wiring - http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=163

Otherwise, I've got an old headset, a soldering iron and a bunch of adaptors ready to be sacrificed to the Great God of Tinkering.

Originally Posted by froh View Post
Fillmore is a really interesting application, Iwas exited when i found it. But it has one big issue. It seems to not do any latency correction. I have to manually adjust offset because of latency caused by buffers. If not, my guitar tracks become one big sauce of string noise. (my playing is bad enough without this effect )
Yep, there's no auto-correction - but at least you can zoom in and manually do so.

The latency seems to be around one second on my device.
That sounds like a lot, I would say it's much smaller than that on mine. Still enough to be painful and need correction but nowhere near that long! Once we've got some stability generally, I'd expect the next step to be to allow a user setting for a default correction and then maybe in the future an automatic one.

I have recorded on linux with among others the Ardour app for some time, and it looks like dropping pulse as a backend might help. Jack might not be feasible on maemo, but using alsa directly could be a solution. A purpose built multitrack recorder for maemo is in my opinion the way to go, and it would be really usefull to me.
I think Jack is going to be off the table as the overhead will be too high. Alsa would be worth experimenting with but at the moment the app is tied to gstreamer and alsa doesn't expose any sinks or sources out-of-the-box on maemo. Just trying the package 'gstreamer0.10-alsa' and after installation I seem to have hw0,0 and hw0,1 exposed but a quick test with gst-launch doesn't give me any sound out. Will have to try more later on today if I have time. If it works and offers any benefits then enabling it as an option would be straightforward as long as the backend remains gstreamer - otherwise it's a very big rewrite.

Features are not that important, a simple and stable app is what we need. but at least four mono tracks and mabe simple moving, edge sanpping and muting of clips would of cource be nice.

Simple export to Ardour would be useful.
If it's just a matter of arranging files in specific directories and producing one or two text config files then it should be feasible - not high on the immediate list but doable. Someone else could even write some simple scripts to parse Fillmore project files and create an Ardour compatible output in the meantime I'm sure.

I've been looking off and on for one for a while now, with no joy. As mentioned above I don;t thinkn the iPhone ones will work - I would be very, very happy to be proved wrong of course But I recently had my old headset break and got a replacement, so I suspect I will try going down the soldering route.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.