Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
For some applications, accuracy is still welcome. Doesn't matter how much I would prefer getting rid of WYSIWYG sometimes, I still have to use LibreOffice quite often. And there is nothing more frustrating than inaccurate character selection in Writer or inaccurate moving of an element in Impress (but the keyboard can help significantly).

If no stylus is implemented within the body of this first device, but we still have access to "desktop" applications in some way, I guess I'll have to carry a capacitive stylus anyway. Can be useful, especially on a big screen to reach screen corners or top edge with good accuracy but limited moves.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post

Then, the SoC : well seems that it's a popular one, so hopes for more maintenance/hacks down the line. (And its still a *mid*-range 6xx. Unlike Fairphone who are considering switching to *low* range 4xx for their potential future FP3). Also given the much lower power requirement of SFOS, it's still fine by me.
We did some analysis on this chipset, compared with other Qualcomm SoCs:

Although this is 6** series, this is more powerful than old 8974 shipset (Snapdragon 800/801) on every aspect.

For daily operation, it's more smooth and stronger than for example 808 to some extent. It uses 4x A53 for normal use.

Power efficiency is awesome! (Being a 14nm processor) Thanks to this chipset my Moto Z Play can get a nearly 3 days average use battery life, and no lag at all.

This chipset is widely used in other brands and proved stable and useful.

Its only weakness (well only "weak" when you compare with flagship SoCs) is on graphic performance and upto 1080p support.

Why we don't want to use SoC like snapdragon 820?

- End user will probably pay 300+ more bucks
- Much more power consumption
- Want to play games? Then get a PS4 or Switch
- Want 2K screen? I don't see any benefits of 2K resolution over 1080p on a 5.5 inch, unless it's under microscope...

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Just to share another peek from the top. A lot design work is in progress so don't regard it as final version yet. Still very early.
Damn this really looks awesome.
I really like the N950/Lauta style because the candybar-styled phone is transformable into a keyboard device but still looks like a normal touch-enabled smartphone without looking like a chunky keyboard device.

Are you considering to provide a german QWERTZ keyboard layout (with Ä, Ö, Ü, ß letters), or at least to sell an interchangeable QWERTZ keyboard map?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I did not even dare mentioning the stylus in this thread because it's not so useful with Sailfish, but if you have productivity applications running on the device one day (either with a full-featured Linux distribution or with a chroot allowing running desktop applications within Sailfish as EasyDebian did with Maemo)
I'm sure you know this, but for reference. Running another Linux distro in chroot on Sailfish is easy: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98882

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Glad to read explicitly in the first post that Sailfish is the first priority, not an extra. Not sure if you meant official Sailifsh with AD or a port, but it's already sending good waves. Glad to see this mockup as well! Looks very familiar, it seems that the reference to the Lauta was not chosen ramdomly.

I will trust whatever you guys think is best, you have the experience, but please don't try to mimic full size keyboards just for the sake of mimicking them without making sure it wouldn't hurt thumb-typing experience.
Sailfish is the Official Sailfish with AD, Exchange and Predictive Text

I hate Android but I must admit AD makes Sailfish an awesome OS as I have to use WeChat and Whatsapp, And don't have to follow Android's stupid UI design*

I will wait to see how Jolla implements on selling Xperia X's SFOS because as this device is fully open, I want to prevent Android version users (who haven't paid for SFOS) to install unauthorised commercial parts of SFOS.

So a separate image from Jolla would be great for devices pre-load with Android. We will see how it goes.

And I didn't mention this device's UI is supposed to be in landscape most time. Like N900. Android's landscape support is awful. But with Sailfish OS we can adjust from the tablet UI to make home screen landscape friendly. (Or improvement from the landscape patch) IMO SFOS is far superior than Android in terms of landscape UI support. (Shame on Google!)

*On my 5.5 inch Moto Z play, take off the space navigation bar and status bar occupies, the "real content" shows in Android apps is the same as the 5.0 inch Jolla C, when the back key is hidden...

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
I'm sure you know this, but for reference. Running another Linux distro in chroot on Sailfish is easy: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98882
Damn, I did miss that actually. Thanks a lot. Is it working properly as EasyDebian was or are there still significant caveats?

Sailfish is the Official Sailfish with AD, Exchange and Predictive Text

I hate Android but I must admit AD makes Sailfish an awesome OS as I have to use WeChat and Whatsapp, And don't have to follow Android's stupid UI design*

I will wait to see how Jolla implements on selling Xperia X's SFOS because as this device is fully open, I want to prevent Android version users (who haven't paid for SFOS) to install unauthorised commercial parts of SFOS.

So a separate image from Jolla would be great for devices pre-load with Android. We will see how it goes.

And I didn't mention this device's UI is supposed to be in landscape most time. Like N900. Android's landscape support is awful. But with Sailfish OS we can adjust from the tablet UI to make home screen landscape friendly. (Or improvement from the landscape patch) IMO SFOS is far superior than Android in terms of landscape UI support. (Shame on Google!)

*On my 5.5 inch Moto Z play, take off the space navigation bar and status bar occupies, the "real content" shows in Android apps is the same as the 5.0 inch Jolla C, when the back key is hidden...
All excellent news. I agree with you on the landscape capacities of Sailfish, I think I even posted on that matter earlier here when someone said Sailfish is far from providing a good landscape/keyboard-slider experience. Even without the Tablet UI, the landscape mode in Sailfish is not bad at all I think, and it's still an OS that is very portrait/touch-friendly at the same time.

Not sure you can disclose this kind of information at this early stage of the project, but have you been in contact with Jolla regarding the possible ways to settle an arrangement for this device, or is it still too early to investigate before the device is final?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Damn, I did miss that actually. Thanks a lot. Is it working properly as EasyDebian was or are there still significant caveats?

All excellent news. I agree with you on the landscape capacities of Sailfish, I think I even posted on that matter earlier here when someone said Sailfish is far from providing a good landscape/keyboard-slider experience. Even without the Tablet UI, the landscape mode in Sailfish is not bad at all I think, and it's still an OS that is very portrait/touch-friendly at the same time.

Not sure you can disclose this kind of information at this early stage of the project, but have you been in contact with Jolla regarding the possible ways to settle an arrangement for this device, or is it still too early to investigate before the device is final?
Will start once the keyboard mod is finished, it is the basis of it.

And then with the structural design and refinement that has started, we will be able to have working product to show.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-08-02 at 17:53.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This comes another benefit of screen being bigger, we can then have possibility implementing a stylus slot without compromising too much on the structure. (And not make it too thick as N900)

A stylus like Galaxy Note series could be great.

Also remember N900 is 3.5 inch, on a 5.5 inch it may not need to be *that* accurate.

But anyway these are the possibilities for the future, will try to keep the topic on the current one.
In regards to the screen size, the manufacturers always give the diagonal size but what is more import to me is the length and width. For example the newest Galaxy Notes have approx 6 inch screen diagonal but are way to narrow for my tastes. Any thoughts here on the screen length and width for the slider?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I agree with you on the landscape capacities of Sailfish, I think I even posted on that matter earlier here when someone said Sailfish is far from providing a good landscape/keyboard-slider experience. Even without the Tablet UI, the landscape mode in Sailfish is not bad at all I think, and it's still an OS that is very portrait/touch-friendly at the same time.
Really? As someone else said, I think landscape mode in SFOS is a bit embarrassing (seems half finished), and I found it quite frustrating when using a fixed landscape keyboard (TOHKBD).

Want to connect to a new wifi network part-way through typing something? Just rotate your head 90 degrees!

Don't get me wrong, it's usable, but there's really no excuse for not implementing landscape mode throughout all of the settings and home screen. It's not like a ton of back-end code would have to change, just the qml.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
You are referring to SFOS on Jolla 1 / smart phone, which has not all landscape features enabled by default (home screen rotation disabled, some apps don't rotate, etc.).

On the tablet, however, you can see, how well SFOS can work in landscape mode.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen