Does anyone have a general idea of what the Nokia repair center would charge for an out-of-warranty replacement of a 770's earphone jack? Nokia's site says to send the device in, then if they determine it can be repaired they'll contact you with an estimate, but that seems like a bass-ackward way of doing it to me. Has anyone had it done, and if so what did they charge?

Alternately, since a 1/8" earphone jack is a standard electronic part, how hard would it be for someone who knows about replacing electronic parts to get the case open and put a new earphone jack in themselves? (My brother is an electrical engineer; I suspect I could get him to do it.) Are any special tools required?

This site has instructions (with pics) on opening up your 770. (For installing an SD card internally, but should help for what you want. )

http://linuxjunk.blogspot.com/2007/0...d-sd-card.html

Good Luck,

desiv

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ DeRidder, LA USA
Tis a bit tight in something that small. Unless you can get a service manual or something that would let you get an exact part number for the jack you might have trouble just cramming any old thing into the space. I only got into these things last month but I have been reading pretty heavy and haven't seen any reference to that level of hardware info being available.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
Tis a bit tight in something that small. Unless you can get a service manual or something that would let you get an exact part number for the jack you might have trouble just cramming any old thing into the space. I only got into these things last month but I have been reading pretty heavy and haven't seen any reference to that level of hardware info being available.
Perhaps This would help? (That link has been floating around the forums for a while, amusingly it just came up in a different thread)