Notices

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
ok nowwww i think i understand. so a game written in GL would translate to GL ES, but only for the limited feature set that GL ES offers. everything else would need to be rewritten.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Playstation emulator, here we come!

Linux games like Super Tux 2, here we come)

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bucharest
need for speed pro street here we come ???

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
ok nowwww i think i understand. so a game written in GL would translate to GL ES, but only for the limited feature set that GL ES offers. everything else would need to be rewritten.
And in fact you could already do this by limiting yourself to the common subset of functionality and #ifdef'ing the rest of parts, which any sane application was already doing probably as those parts are quite machine dependent.

So, as I was saying, this will have little impact.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-07-28 at 17:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
So will this make it easier to, say, port an open gl PSX GPU plugin to open gles 2.0?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
So will this make it easier to, say, port an open gl PSX GPU plugin to open gles 2.0?
I guess you meant an "existing" PSX GPU plugin. The answer is no.

Just steal and/or enhance COGL from the Clutter project. I think the bottom of this link says it all:

COGL is a low level OpenGL abstraction library developed for (and part of) Clutter. It is used primarily by Clutter to provide a common rendering API that works transparently across OpenGL >=1.4, OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0.
Some more info here.

Oh, and it's already in Maemo 5 and MeeGo.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by WorldKaoss View Post
This means that developers who will use the OpenGL 4 engine can code now mobile applications (including N900) without using extra libs for converting the API into a mobile API.
Nope.

This means exactly the opposite.
If you are writing software using OpenGL ES 2.0 you may now run it on any OpenGL 4.1 compatible device without modifications.

OpenGL ES is a subset of OpenGL, so if you use any features specific to OpenGL the code won't run on OpenGL ES compatible device.
This announcement means that all OpenGL ES 2.0 specific features was accommodated to OpenGL 4.1.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Thanks to all those with more knowledge than me for providing clarification. This is directly from their press release

New functionality in the core OpenGL 4.1 specification includes:

* Full compatibility with OpenGL ES 2.0 APIs for easier porting between mobile and desktop platforms;

So why would they do this? Who wants to run mobile apps on their desktop? Maybe I'm just being thick and missing the benefit of this.. wouldn't be the first time

Full text is here: http://www.khronos.org/news/press/re...l-4-1-released

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.