Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
OK, this is probably weird, but I'll just try. Let me know what you think of it.

I wish somebody would establish an online school, courses,... for writing apps for Maemo. Easy to follow. Target audience: People with very little coding skills, people who tried to learn how to code from a book, but can't learn that way. People who decades ago wrote apps in ancient languages and now find it difficult to find their way between C, Python, Gstreamer and DBUS.

The target audience would not include people who don't know what a variable or a comment is.

How would it work?
  • A blog-like structure (on a maemo.org domain or not, doesn't matter at all) with posts and comments...
  • One or more authors write there. Only once a week or so, maybe even less often.
  • "Topics" are existing Maemo applications, the blog-authors aren't necessarily the developers of these applications. (Maybe it's even better if blog authors aren't developers.)
  • Each post (=lesson) covers a tiny little piece of the application. It also covers a distinct concept shown in this particular piece of code (like: "This is how you make a window appear in the desktop. Next week you'll find out how to add three menu items.") It is important that each post leaves the reader with a (technically) working, complete application... So if it's C, it mustn't happen that a lesson ends with "... but it won't compile until you do some further magic, which you'll learn next week." - Changes to the code may be necessary to achieve this (=remove references to a function that you plan to cover as one of the last lessons).
  • The main focus of the lessons should be on "how to achieve this and that on Maemo". From the basics (create an application window) and boring stuff (read/write configurations) to "how to read the online status of a contact" and "how to take an image with the front cam". - It may also be a good idea to provide Maemo-specific references for such topics at the end, like: Now you know how it works and why it works this way, read more about DBUS on Maemo here and here, read about DBUS in general here.
  • The goal isn't to explain the programing language as such while you proceed. Again, the target audience are those who read a book about C and know in theory what pointers are, but just don't know how this helps to access the camera. (OTOH, as the readers will be starters, it might be nice to explain some tricky constructs as well.)
  • It should be a goal of the project to cover all relevant programing languages.
  • The structure of the site should allow for users to follow one project while a second one starts (by a different author, maybe).
  • Users are encouraged to post comments below each lesson, ask questions there,.... It would be nice if the "teacher" monitors this area and steps in if the users can't help each other with their questions.
  • Short and already existing projects should be used for a start; they give an instant feeling of success and - because the complete source is available somewhere - students can work ahead if they want. However, maybe at a later stage, one of the authors may want to try a new project in this setting.

What would it take? Somebody to set up a blog (technically), projetcs to use as examles,... easy. The tough thing is: Do we have people in the community who can teach? This would be really difficult. We don't need good coders, we need people who can read code, create a concept from it (what can I use this code for? What does it teach?), break it down in lessons... and then write about it in a way people can follow.
And we need somebody who loves to do just that, because once you started, you better not stop at lesson 7 of 9 and leave your readers without a way to handle error conditions.

Let me know what you think... You may reply to this post even if you don't feel like becoming a teacher.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
For those looking for a tutorial that is already written:
http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman/2009...rial-contents/

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fphillips For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by fphillips View Post
For those looking for a tutorial that is already written:
http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman/2009...rial-contents/
Unluckly, it stop to write on the blog more than a month ago

This is (almost) exactly what I wanted to suggest myself. It would lower the bar for starting coding for Maemo considerably. One of the main reasons for why it's so easy to start coding for Windows using the .NET framework, is because there are so many great learning/tutorials provided even by Microsoft. I'm especially fond of those video tutorials.

What I would really like (apart from video tutorials, because I'm so lazy ), is to have something like benny1967 suggested here, but concentrating in Qt as this seems to be the future for Maemo. If one has to learn coding in a new environment (or coding in general), it might as well be an environment that is going to be officially supported for years to come.

Anyway, thanks again benny1967 for this great suggestion. I really hope something will come out of it.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
like the tutorial here or what?

http://www.themaemo.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerTHAcctant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
excellent. I am also interested in knowing more about this and RogerTHA's resource looks like a good place to start. Thanks.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12