Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
@jwernerny
Please can you describe [configurable backend & flickable scroll lists?
Flickable Lists

I'll start with the flickable scroll lists. Simply put, every list on shown (like list of artists, albums, song, etc.) is scrolled by touching an item and moving it up or down. (You don't use a scroll bar or arrows.) The list can be "flicked" (a quick up or down stroke), which causes it to continue to scroll with some inertia. Nokia's Qt 4.7 documents describe this better (although I don't think Canola use Qt... I'd have to check)

In traditional user interfaces, views can be scrolled using standard controls, such as scroll bars and arrow buttons. In some situations, it is also possible to drag the view directly by pressing and holding a mouse button while moving the cursor. In touch-based user interfaces, this dragging action is often complemented with a flicking action, where scrolling continues after the user has stopped touching the view.
(See: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot...e.html#details)

Configurable Backend

Canola allows the user to configure which player engine to use (mplayer, oms/built-in) depending on file types (Audio, Video, etc.) and/or format (mp4, mp3, avi, etc). This is done through a configuration file (.atabake/config).

Actually, the atabake media engine framework looks like a good place to start as it supports several plugins for engines: oms, mplayer, gstreamer.

- John

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by jwernerny View Post
I think Canola had the right idea here: Allow the player to be configured. There are somethings that work better in mplayer (e.g. more video formats), and somethings that work better (e.g. using the DSP to reduce CPU overhead and power consumption).

If it wasn't for it's bloat, I would say Canola is just about perfect for my uses. Here some of the features I find I really like and would like to see in a new player
  • Flickable scroll lists
  • Podcasts
  • Separate Images, Videos, "Music" categories
  • Configurable backend

I also would love to see a player that allows EQ Settings (and uses the DSP at the same time -- yeah, right).

- John
Have you tried Mediabox? It has all that you are after except EQ.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ near Memphis, TN USA
I'm currently still using Xmms on my N800. Everybody knows the things that are annoying about Xmms, but here are the main reasons that I still use Xmms over the other options available for the N800.

- It is light on resources
- Supports Icecast & SHOUTcast streams
- Delay-time between consecutive tracks is unmatched
- Uses folder.jpg cover art

FWIW, I'm also using Diablo5/Telescope, so it's easy for me to minimize Xmms while it's playing, and then switch back when needed.

I would gladly switch to a new and better player that is more N800 friendly. Looking forward to see what develops.

The Following User Says Thank You to moja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Have you tried Mediabox? It has all that you are after except EQ.
I did about a year ago, and I found I didn't like it as much as Canola. I haven't checked in on it since, and I don't even remember why I didn't like it as much.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Buttons should change appearance when pressed.
Yes, sir! Will be done!

In traditional user interfaces, views can be scrolled using standard controls, such as scroll bars and arrow buttons. In some situations, it is also possible to drag the view directly by pressing and holding a mouse button while moving the cursor. In touch-based user interfaces, this dragging action is often complemented with a flicking action, where scrolling continues after the user has stopped touching the view.
Oh well I call it The kinetic scrolling. Of course, this thing will be included

Configurable Backend
Now I've get you. Let's see what Mitrandir gonna say about this.

@jwernerny
New mediabox looks good. But it is as huge and slow as Canola2 is. Try it out, maybe you will find it not so bad as I did.

Here in my opinion we need very light and fast application like Telescope. So I advice you do not expect a lot of bells and whistles...

Does that orientation button rotate the screen or only the app? I really like the idea of rotating the app independently of the device's current orientation but it makes the app more complex. The app must still detect orientation changes so it can update its model. But now the app has four drawing modes: landscape-landscape, landscape-portrait, portrait-portrait, portrait-landscape. The other options it to have the button rotate the device's orientation so the app only needs to support two drawing modes. But does it then support all four orientations or only two? Adding three lines to Telescope allows me to press Home followed by the zoom keys to rotate the device left or right.

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
So this is how much players use electricity:

Bu the way it looks like I found a right person to involve in project. His name is Mitrandir and he is a Telescope creator
The wrapper could kill mplayer when pausing, and then seek to the last position when restarting it. That would lower its power usage to zero when paused.

Yay, not me! @ mitrandir: use C++ and Xlib like you did with Telescope.

Regarding flickable scrolling, if you support this could you add a setting to adjust its speed. I would prefer to have it very low to make it easier to browse and not end up several pages away with a slight scroll. ASUI's process viewer has some fast list scrolling code if you need it, an additional timer and speed setting could be added to give it inertia support.

Make sure it has a good dbus interface so it can be controlled by another program, such as ASUI's audio lock mode. And when I make my file manager I can launch audio files and playlist files into your player. I could even dynamically generate a playlist file for a given directory or all selected directories (in the file manager) and have your player play it. Then you could focus on the hard task of making a good audio player and I can focus on the easy stuff. Would also be nice if you could make it play videos so I could launch them in it as well.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Perhaps have a possible feature where the backlight remains lit while playing music for those who have this on their nightstand, or at work, etc.
He only needs to send a blanking pause to DSME when the button is pressed and send an unblank when pressed again. Not sure why you'd want to drain your battery faster just to see your playlist or current song. You could keep the screen lit and not drain battery if you just plug it in.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Hi all,

I'm probably going to start developing this project

I need several days to bring my current Harmattan project to solid shape and ready for Ovi Store. So we have time to discuss technical details and overall design now.

Originally Posted by auouynous
Yay, not me! @ mitrandir: use C++ and Xlib like you did with Telescope.

I thought about than and I think that pure Xlib wont be the case. It seems that audioplayer will heavily rely on D-Bus and it needs more advanced graphics and user interaction than Telescope. All of these could be much easier to implement with Glib & GTK.
Actually, i don't expect that GTK can add much memory requirements because all its libs are already in RAM on Maemo. But it will make it much easier to integrate D-Bus, for example.
But using GTK woth plain C is a pain and tears So, i'm thinking of using Vala. Vala is a kind of preprocessor that takes sources in Vala language which is C#-styled with automatic memory management, closures, and very tight GTK integration and builds plain C code that then compiled with regular gcc and works nearly as fast as hand-written C program. I think this is the best approach that combines modern language's features & conding speed and low-level performance of C.

What about audio engine. I think we can start with GStreamer because it very common and is native for Maemo. And on Diablo there is GStreamer plugin for playing mp3 via DSP, which i expect to be best choice for 90% of users. But i think that player's code need to be designed with support of different engines in mind.

By the way, does anybody has ready solution for how to react on headset button press? I think it could be figured out from 'headphoned' (right?) sources, but may be someone remembers exact D-Bus signal name?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Ah, Vala. I think Tear is coded in Vala.

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
Actually, i don't expect that GTK can add much memory requirements because all its libs are already in RAM on Maemo.
asui-settings displays 10-15 buttons on start and uses 5.5meg. ASUI loads in a lot of data, opens numerous descriptors, launches a dbus thread and so much more and uses less than 3meg. Telescope has is the same way with all of its icons and window thumbnails and uses less than 5meg. And raw dbus handling is easy.

Oh well, try to keep it around 7meg like xmms.

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
By the way, does anybody has ready solution for how to react on headset button press? I think it could be figured out from 'headphoned' (right?) sources, but may be someone remembers exact D-Bus signal name?
dbus-monitor doesn't show any signals when I press buttons on my headset. Volume changes but no signals and the main button doesn't do anything in media player.

These are the bluetooth docs I collected for ASUI.
http://bluez.cvs.sourceforge.net/vie...d/dbus-api.txt
http://bluez.cvs.sourceforge.net/vie.../audio-api.txt
http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum....x/node10.html
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...Bus_UI_dialogs

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...ui&view=markup -- You can find dbus headset detection around line 1241.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
I think Tear is coded in Vala.
that's right.

Yay, not me!
Sorry, bro I am sure you have enought things to do without this project) But you are very welcome, all you guys)
And I think that your File Manager will work sweetly with audio player