Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
so what happens when other companies get involved. will there be a represenitive from say sony. how will this be handled?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
so what happens when other companies get involved. will there be a represenitive from say sony. how will this be handled?
Simple. Mer project has open roadmaps. Each HW port has one or more maintainers. Guides exist how to port Mer. I stick with Nokia HW port. Any HW port maintainers would be in touch with vendor if they are cooperative. If something comes up that I cannot personally handle, I pass it on to others who can. Each vendor / HW port is equal in terms of the Mer project and can see what is going on due to the roadmap. Some ports are more developed, some less.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Congrats!

-jkq

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Congratulations Stskeeps! I hope youn save me a lot of work or, even better, push forward openness related tasks that are now slow/stuck just because my own load of work.

Suggestions for next sprint:

- Maemo 5 openness data to update http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Components_and_packages & http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

- Push one Fremantle component to be open source.

- Push one Diablo component to be open source.

Hopefully after starting these tasks the community could set their openness priorities in a clear way (e.g. one backlog) and then you would know the right people and places in the Maemo team in order to go further with more opening progress. Ideally at some point my support would be helpful but not as relevant as it is now in order to get things done.

PS: for you or whoever wants to push this in a different thread. What is really need it in order to have decent / good / perfect localization of Maemo 5 in languages not officially supported?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I can only agree, this is a smart decision by Nokia and Carsten is _the_ person for the job.

Well done of the Community Council to have worked for this position, it is going to help the community thrive.

Congratulations to all, and keepsie see you at the next sprint! :P

Jeremiah

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Congratulations Stskeeps! I hope youn save me a lot of work or, even better, push forward openness related tasks that are now slow/stuck just because my own load of work.

Suggestions for next sprint:

- Maemo 5 openness data to update http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Components_and_packages & http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

- Push one Fremantle component to be open source.

- Push one Diablo component to be open source.
@stskeeps

How can I help with the openness data?

Could we push the three components we previously identified?

Congratulations!
Out of sheer curiosity: how does one become e distmaster? Is it a standard job process or are you hand-picked?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Congrats... Now get to work.

Warmest regards dude,

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Congratulations!
Out of sheer curiosity: how does one become e distmaster? Is it a standard job process or are you hand-picked?
The previous community council proposed him, we talked, we looked at the budget, we tried a couple of things only to be sure and we agreed the part time funding.

In the case of the debmaster (Jeremiah) there was a quite formal hiring process done by the council but for this case Carsten was an evident choice. In fact the proposal was to get Carsten, then we found a name for his role.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Great news and congrats to both Maemo and Carsten.

Hope it becomes full-time.

Tags
distmaster, maemo.org, mer, unreal