Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey! Big thanks for keeping us cheapo N8x0 users remembered with this release.

I've never tried uploading for Diablo. It's just never really occurred to me that it might work. You seem happy with Xmame but i'll try it with my other ports next time, ok?

Anyone else find it weird that the some of the images for these old arcades are bigger in byte size then the game itself?
It's a tribute to the extreme economy of programming back then (assembler and lots of hackish tricks). I'm just fine with gcc and bloated libraries thankyouverymuch.

Originally Posted by Anunakin View Post
xmame 0.106 is same as Gentoo and Ubuntu PC distros...
xmame stopped being maintained a while back at around that version. Originally, the plan was to restructure it. In the end, it was abandoned and sdlmame became the official replacement MAME port for non-windows systems.

I used this FLAGs for optimization...
#N900
CFLAGS = -O2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mtune=cortex-a8 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp
Interesting. That's quite a collection you got there. I get better performance with SDLMAME using just -O3, but -O3 with those fancy arch-specific flags gives a pretty consistent 1.5% increase in performance with my test ROM. Heh.

Being a complete noob, i am still discovering standard options to SDLMAME that improve performance much more drastically than optimizing routines or messing with compiler flags. I had completely overlooked the YUV overlay option that uses hardware acceleration to do scaling...d'oh. That wasn't a trivial improvement: it's about a 2.5x acceleration with the undemanding old test ROM. It took gng from ~35% to ~90% performance, so with frame dropping it's pretty well emulated now.

I also fixed the autosave in the new version--i think. It's still a dev release and will probably brick everyone's phone. You shouldn't install it. Don't come crying to me, or more importantly, to T.M.O. when you do anyway, and it does. :P

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-13 at 04:39.

Wow, that's an awesome performance increase, I tried Wonder Boy a couple of days ago and it struggled a bit (but it was playable). I can't wait to try it again with the new version

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Good work, I was hoping to get >100% with GNG, though. Maybe there is some parts still to optimize

Good work indeed!

Tried Wonder Boy again and the game runs *much* faster, at least twice than before, and graphics look smoother and filtered. Keep up the good work Flandry!!!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
Flandry, I go try sdlmame on N810... but on my PC it is very slow if compares with xmame on PC...

I think cold be that params you told!

If you mean running in the SDK then it could be. I haven't tried running the x86 binary since i got it compiled for armel. All the parameters are in the start script so it's easy to change them if you want for testing.

If i completely misunderstood you then i'm sorry. My portugues isn't nearly as good as your english.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
I tried sdlmame on Ubuntu and Gentoo Linux, out of scratchbox, and I see it so slow if compares with xMame... on N900 this can be good to use sdlmame, but on N8x0 ... I don't try!

Flandry, I dont have a N900 for tests, but I go give a chance for sdlmame on N8x0 ... can you send me you Makefile ou ./configure options and you loader script for N900 ?

I got some sources for a SDLPSX emulator, from a old project .... if I have some success on it... I put for public ...

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by pia2989 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here so bear with me!

I have downloaded emulators for Nintendo, Megadrive and Gameboy etc. How do you download the games to play. When I open these emulators it brings up a page to load a file?

I'm completely new to this and have no experience in Maemo whatsoever.

Thanks,
Pia
You have to dump the contents of your original cartridge onto your N900/computer. Look on the official emulator sites to see how to do this.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Flandry, a few questions for your great efforts with SDLMAME:

1. Is .135u3-0maemo1 the newest version? That is what I have.
2. Any way to add framerate adjustment option and sound disable to the UI to go along with the current input options on the main screen?
3. Can the config file be accessed to adjust the framerate globally? I am thinking just 1 frame skipped (2 for some) will work wonders. I you can, how do we access this file and edit it?
4. Any chance of a screen rotate option?

I have tried MANY games and almost all work. Even the Metal Slugs and Golden Tee Golfs load up Great job!!!!!

Framerate option should help the performance of those games out big time.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Flandry, a few questions for your great efforts with SDLMAME:

1. Is .135u3-0maemo1 the newest version? That is what I have.
2. Any way to add framerate adjustment option and sound disable to the UI to go along with the current input options on the main screen?
3. Can the config file be accessed to adjust the framerate globally? I am thinking just 1 frame skipped (2 for some) will work wonders. I you can, how do we access this file and edit it?
4. Any chance of a screen rotate option?

I have tried MANY games and almost all work. Even the Metal Slugs and Golden Tee Golfs load up Great job!!!!!

Framerate option should help the performance of those games out big time.
I'm not really taking feature requests until i get it working well enough to bother with features. Please wait until it has a thread of its own.

All of the configuration files are in .sdlmame/ in your home directory. There's also a script called sdlmame-start.sh in the app directory that has most of the flags. Currently it sets -autoframeskip, which will skip to keep at 100% speed as needed. Newest version is 0maemo3 i think. That's what the package page or app manager is for. :P