Notices

what is not working? did you add the widget to desktop?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Love the concept - however it is simply not working...
Did you download it from extras-devel too? the files in this thread are only icons and configfiles and dont contain the actual program.

----------------------------------
Btw. Here is a screenshot from the latest version of deskypplet, it will be upploaded as soon as someone helps us with: how to attach the icons to the autobuilder for extra-devel...

In the meantime ... enjoy this teaser
Attached Images

Last edited by electroaudio; 2011-09-13 at 11:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Love the report - but it's simply lacking of any important details about problem...

Seriously thought, I've created full-detailed thread in devel (day before yesterday, to be honest - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...builder+custom) and tried on IRC, ho ever, no one was able to give advices so far. If no one will answer in thread until tomorrow, I'll bump it. also trying on IRC, right now.

I'm just writing this to keep You guys updated
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-13 at 17:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Love the report - but it's simply lacking of any important details about problem...

Seriously thought, I've created full-detailed thread in devel (day before yesterday, to be honest - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...builder+custom) and tried on IRC, ho ever, no one was able to give advices so far. If no one will answer in thread until tomorrow, I'll bump it. also trying on IRC, right now.

I'm just writing this to keep You guys updated
Thanks hope we can find a solution soon

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Where is source code of Deskypplet available? I can't seem to find it in garage page, only .deb file. I've managed to contact few people willing to help, but everyone want to check source code.

Also, I was given somehow "uncertified" hint, that icons/etc should be placed like every other "binary" file. If I recall correctly, there *is* thread on development section, about adding binary files to source code.

Sethkha, please check it. I got no idea of how deskypllet is packaged or how source looks like, so it's totally meaningless (reading that thread) to me. I ever have gone through it, when initially searching for solution, but I was not able to correlate it to our problem :/

// Edit

worth reading: (just don't care that he is talking about module, treat is as any other binary, be it .png for example):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65924

Of course using non-free is ugly workaround that we *don't* want, I'm talking about rest of the topic conclusions.

// Edit 2

It seems that *this* thread contain answer about our problem:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...builder+binary
Be warned through - you definitely need to read "whole" thread, cause some things are changed in mid-way and some denied.

It seems that it's just a matter of preparing correct makefile and placing files in correct place. Now, when someone who know what exactly makefile is (from coder perspective, not theoretically) read it and spent few minutes/hours on trial and error, she/he will probably be able to understand whole autobuilding process

So, Sethkha, for now I've gathered as much info as I was able to, and it's up to Your understanding of Scratchbox, MAKE, etc...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-14 at 01:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks Estel
I have added the sourcepackage to the garagepage now.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=2239

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Thanks electroaudio.

There is something else I've dig to - It's possible that I was perfectly right with "let's check how others do it", ho ever I failed to realize that We tried it wrong way.

AFAIK, every attempt to examine a package was from .deb file, when we don't have certain script like makefile etc. The correct way (and probably, why it's so obvious to everyone else) is to check source code package from garage page - of some project. I would recommend to check some theme, as it basically contains only graphical files + scripts.

Source packages in garage (should) contain everything, i.e are ready for uploading to devel - so, we will have all scripts and autobuilder requirements there, for examination.

// Edit

I'll also try to ask about our source on IRC, ho ever today is *very* bad day for doing so. Anyway, I think we can get better result by examining some theme's source package.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-14 at 18:24.

@estel
did you look into some source packages?
The threads you posted are useless. At least on of them. Couldn't figure out if the other has the answer.

I did not get any clues from examining source, which is no surprise to me, cause I got no idea how makefiles and other building scripts works (except for common sense understanding).

That's why I suggested examining source code + building scripts, from garage, of some package (most likely, a theme, cause of many graphic file included, at the same time lacking real source, just files + autobuilding scripts). I can read it again and again and I'll not come with conclusion, until I learn packaging/compiling basics, for which I don't have enough time right now.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

I got it working, why would you not include the icon and config files with the extras-devel package???

My opinion is the following: people have widgets to make the desktop(s) as comfortable to them as possible. Your widget does what it should do, BUT (and this is a big hairy but) it is not very flexible, changing the size of the widget is a chore and even when resizing it automatically sticks to the very top of the screen. Why do you not make a GUI with the config button on the widget to modify the size, transparency, etc.?

The default size of icons are VERY large for a resistive touch screen device - they could be 1/2 the size, thus showing more data in a smaller portion, same concept with the over sized scroll bars. I realize that this is still in development but it seems that you have made this widget for ONE reason when it could be much more flexible. I personally have changed out all the icons and the size of the widget - below is a screen shot.

As you can see, I am not using it full screen but for some reason you programmed it to automatically snap to the top of the screen - that is a hindrance to me just aesthetically. The icons are WAY over sized - for a device that has a captive touch screen they are still a little big - personally I use my fingernails/stylus to navigate applications such as this. The scroll bars as well. I don't think they should be reduced in size - I just think you should consider giving the user an option on these things. Because when it comes down to it the purpose of a widget is indeed personalization and ease of the user. Just some constructive criticism. As you can see, I am using it thus I find it to be a worthy widget.
Attached Images