Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I haven't looked at the sixaxis setup in detail but from what you describe, i suspect that they are providing the same file in their package, so the package manager sees that another package would collide and refuses to let you install it. All it requires is for the sixaxis maintainer to either depend on the joydev package instead of installing the module, or to mark the package as "Provides" joydev. If his package advertises itself as providing the virtual package "joydev", the accelemymote package that depends on "joydev" will happily install and use that module. The first option is better because there are obviously cases where someone would want to uninstall the sixaxis package and not the accelemymote package, and that wouldn't be possible with the latter option.

Maybe you can point him to this post so he's aware of the problem?

Edit: of course individual users can "force" the install, which should work fine, but that's not a solution.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-24 at 04:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Edit: of course individual users can "force" the install, which should work fine, but that's not a solution.
are you able to elaborate how to do this?? thanks! i think i may have tried this?? apt-get -f install???

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
are you able to elaborate how to do this?? thanks! i think i may have tried this?? apt-get -f install???
http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

--ignore-missing might do it. I've never had to do it for a package i didn't have as a .deb file, so i use dpkg. See dpkg --force-help for more information.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
downloaded *.deb, did dpkg --force-all -i accelemymote.deb....... installed i think... thanks HEAPS

EDIT: okay found config file.. but I get this error when running app from xterm.

trigger file /home/user/.accelemymote/live-trigger specified; file not found... shutting down.

EDIT: dont know what i did but i ran thru menu shortcut, checked in top and it was there and works!! but in doom, if i want to config 'actions' is that possible?? i.e. make left/right strafe instead of turn??? tHANKS

actually im guessing thats not posible if this acts as a joystick, not keyboard

IMHO i think the name Accelemote would be much better for this app..!

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-02-24 at 12:17.

downloaded *.deb, did dpkg --force-all -i accelemymote.deb....... installed i think... thanks HEAPS
Probably best not to make a habit of that, which i'm sure you know.

EDIT: okay found config file.. but I get this error when running app from xterm.

trigger file /home/user/.accelemymote/live-trigger specified; file not found... shutting down.
It wasn't an error, it was simply letting you know that it didn't have any reason to live... tragic.

Seriously, though, you were probably running the binary executable instead of the script.

/opt/maemo/usr/bin/accelemymote.sh is the toggle script. Run it with an "&" at the end to start it up, and then run it again when you are done.

EDIT: dont know what i did but i ran thru menu shortcut, checked in top and it was there and works!! but in doom, if i want to config 'actions' is that possible?? i.e. make left/right strafe instead of turn??? tHANKS

actually im guessing thats not posible if this acts as a joystick, not keyboard
Limited to the controls the app gives to joystick. PrBoom maps four joystick buttons to actions, so that's one way to approach it for future versions. There's also potential for keyboard mode.

IMHO i think the name Accelemote would be much better for this app..!
Less of a mouthful but less shades of "maemo".

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
i did run
/opt/maemo/usr/bin/accelemymote.sh
in xterm! ??

it works fine, just doesnt install properly for me.. keeps saying it has an update..

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post

tangs: The config file is a first step. Version 0.0.0 didn't have any options at all. What is it about the accelerometer setup that you find hard to control?
Yes, it's quiet hard to control. When you turn left or right, it's moving to fast. To move foward you need to keep the device parallel to the groud that is not confortable, it would be more easy to play if it was moving forward when the device is 45 degres from the ground, could it be possible ?

Sorry for my bad english, just trying to hell p

Originally Posted by tangs View Post
Yes, it's quiet hard to control. When you turn left or right, it's moving to fast. To move foward you need to keep the device parallel to the groud that is not confortable, it would be more easy to play if it was moving forward when the device is 45 degres from the ground, could it be possible ?

Sorry for my bad english, just trying to hell p
There's a setting for that in the main.cfg file:
offset_pitch = 20 ; degrees tilt backwards to the neutral position
I realize that's not user friendly yet, but you would set it to "45" in your case.

As for the speed of side movement... are you saying it should actually go slower than when you push "left" and "right" on the keyboard?

I guess what you're asking is analog control. Right now it only works as a "hat" (up/down/left/right) rather than an analog stick, so that might be fixed when i finish the analog profile... if prboom supports that.

i did run
/opt/maemo/usr/bin/accelemymote.sh
in xterm! ??

it works fine, just doesnt install properly for me.. keeps saying it has an update..
An update? oO It's a simple script... you run it once, it starts the daemon and creates the live-trigger; you run it again, it deletes the live-trigger, shutting down the daemon. Run it with an "&" at the end so it doesn't block.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-24 at 14:47.

Ok, i'll try to change it to 45.
where do i find the .accelemymote/main.cfg please ?

Originally Posted by tangs View Post
Ok, i'll try to change it to 45.
where do i find the .accelemymote/main.cfg please ?
It would be easier in your case to use sed. Copy and paste this line into xterm:
sed -i 's/\(offset_pitch *= *\)[0-9]*\(.*\)/\145\2/' ~/.accelemymote/main.cfg
Change the part that says 45 to something like 30 if it ends up being too much.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-24 at 15:54. Reason: Oops, forgot about the comment. :o

Tags
accelerometer, analog input, game controls, joystick, menu selection, mouse please, tilt