Notices

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
As a hobbyst theologist myself, how about an app, or an extension for the actual ones, for more than the Bible? Like Plato, Aristotles St Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas works, with cross-referencing?

THAT's something to die for

The Following User Says Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
OK....I need to learn about this 'bottom bar' feature....I don't know how it integrates with apps, whether there's a generic interface....

There's lots I don't know...I'm not trying to BS anyone here....I'm an expert professional software engineer, but I'm totally new to this platform - even I need to find my feet

I may not be a religious guy, but I really want to see this through.

Because it's important.
Hogwash, we are mostly in the exact same boat. I am a professional Software engineer by day -- I program in a variety of languages both desktop and web based. But I am a Maemo novice by night. ;-) I'm learning lots of stuff as I go.

I'm finding my feet also in this new world -- here is what I found for building packages;
http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras

Nathan

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Mods: can these be merged since they are essentially the same topic?
Yep. Done.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
As a hobbyst theologist myself, how about an app, or an extension for the actual ones, for more than the Bible? Like Plato, Aristotles St Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas works, with cross-referencing?

THAT's something to die for
Several of the proprietries include support for Peakes commentary and their own versions of notes. Including support for other works (the historic ones are probably available freely anyway) so you could cross notate would be genius.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
attention to Josh and others trying to develop the ultimate bible software for m5... i am willing to help though i am just a python/pygtk newbie...

will pay attention to the discussion and details soon...

can't to have both n900 and the bible software

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Hogwash, any progress on the Sword-based port?

In the process of fiddling around with it, I seem to have FUBARed my Maemo dev env so that the simulator crashes at the slightest provocation. I think i'll start over using a virtualized vanilla debian install so that i can easily restore it the next time i do that. It's so hard to extrapolate from a mouse-interfaced UI on my desktop to a handheld that i may not actually try anything until i have an N900 in my hot little hand so that i can test things as i go.
Sword (as well as the python bindings) are already in diablo extra repository. It is not the latest version though.

Theoretically, you shoudl be able to recompile them by just apt-get source sword (and the needed dependencies) with the extra repository enabled, then dpkg-buildpackage them in the new sdk.

Well, I have some good news (pun not intended) and some bad news. ;-)

The good news:

I've got rapier running under the final Fremantle SDK, everything built and compiled.

I'm currently using pretty much the latest version of everything
- ICU 4.2.1
- Sword 1.60
- CLucene 0.93
- Rapier 1.04

I have also figured out how to package at least CLucene and have requested privileges to upload to the "extras" a couple days ago.

The Bad news:
- Their is a "crashing" bug in one of the tools that does part of the building under the Armel target. It is stopping me from being able to compile this under Armel instruction set (what the n900 device runs) -- I have a post in both the dev mailing list and dev forum here to try and get this resolved. Apparently it is a known issue -- and other devs have ran into it.

Until this bug is fixed; I cannot "offiically" port any of the Bible programs using the sword engine to the fremantle device. ;-( Fortunately this is a tool that is being used by other projects so their should be some pressure to get it fixed soon as more developers run into it. (and their might be a couple ways to work around it)

I might be able to work around it one other way but it would then be a single installable package from my server rather than from extras since, until this tool is fixed the build-bots would also crash while attempting to build it. Where I would have pre-built all the binaries and packaged

Nathan
Attached Images

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-10-15 at 18:48. Reason: Minor wording changes to clarify some stuff.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Well done Nathan! I daresay that a solution will be found to the ARMEL build crash - it's not the sort of problem that can possibly be ignored for long

Have you built the 'release' target of these projects, and if so, how much space do they occupy?

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Check out Rapier. It will do what you need.
The one thing that I miss from Sword is the fact that Rapier can't do parallel translations or a translation and commentaries, where the secondary sources are slaved to the translation.

I know it would be difficult with the screen size, but it would be nice..

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword