Sigh...some people shouldn't be buying such a powerful device. I hate to say it, Amadtira, but maybe you should have bought an iPhone or Android phone.

See the Wikipedia entry and links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I did a full flash to 1.3 AND reflashed the eMMC and haven't had the problems everyone else has had. I do this with my preferred distribution Slackware for updates (it's still the preferred method) and it was recommended for years--and maybe still is--to keep a typical desktop installation working well to backup, wipe, and re-install from scratch once a year. The problem is that all the automatic changes that happen to config files along with dependency and versioning problems lead to all sorts of weirdness--and the simplest work-around is just to wipe and re-install (especially with a major update).

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by storkus View Post
Sigh...some people shouldn't be buying such a powerful device. I hate to say it, Amadtira, but maybe you should have bought an iPhone or Android phone.

See the Wikipedia entry and links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I did a full flash to 1.3 AND reflashed the eMMC and haven't had the problems everyone else has had. I do this with my preferred distribution Slackware for updates (it's still the preferred method) and it was recommended for years--and maybe still is--to keep a typical desktop installation working well to backup, wipe, and re-install from scratch once a year. The problem is that all the automatic changes that happen to config files along with dependency and versioning problems lead to all sorts of weirdness--and the simplest work-around is just to wipe and re-install (especially with a major update).
YES! I agree. More people shouldn't be buying the N900! Yes, you are absolutely RIGHT. :P

heh.. telling people to go off and buy something else is a great deflection from trying to actually be part of the solution. Nokia does it every day by providing outstanding support! ...sorry, I meant.. outstanding LACK of support. There we go.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Originally Posted by ammadtira View Post
Anyone can help me?? I am not able to Flash N900 to latest PR1.3.. I know the method and I just tried to Flash it to 1.2 in which I succeeded but when I give the command for flashing it to PR1.3 it gives error "Invalid FIASCO File Header" ..
Help Plz
I shall be very thankful...
If you got a 50mb connection or a 10mb connection it could miss or corrupt part of the file being downloaded. I.e. Downloading from a 10mb line could corrupt the file because of jitter of general poor quality of the line. Being to fast could skip part or receive it and not put it together correctly. Also if your HDD has had a lot of I/O Apps on it it could need a error check. But that's like super unlikley that you'd be using that section if it is true.

Torrents would be a good Idea. Apart from If Nokia want to see the download's or popular the file(s) are/is. Also bare in mind that when you hit the page you have to type in you IMEI number to prove you have the right phone.

Apart from that the only one basic thing I can say to you with out you taking it in a offensive way is don't play with the phone if your bumping into problems like that. Or having difficulty understanding some of the thing's mentioned.

If you want to go ahead. I'd suggest downloading from a m8's house or work maybe and popping it onto a USB2.0 memory stick. (Also even if the device is set up for quick removal) right click it and eject it when done. Then let me know how you get on. Or PM me your IMEI which I know I shouldn't take it from you just incase.. To cover my own back. Then I'll type it in to see if it's valid then I'll send you my downloaded file. (which works because I've flashed it to my phone. Sorry about the big rant.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kamen For This Useful Post:
If I could.. I'd nominate Kamen for an awesomeness award for an old-school, helpful Internet Tablet Talk style useful posting.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
. Then let me know how you get on. Or PM me your IMEI which I know I shouldn't take it from you just incase.. To cover my own back. Then I'll type it in to see if it's valid then I'll send you my downloaded file. (which works because I've flashed it to my phone. Sorry about the big rant.
Wow. This part proves to me that Nokia makes thing harder for us. Linksys doesn't need IMEI for its routers. Dell doesn't need IMEI for their bios/drivers downloaded. N8x0,N9x0 mostly use Linux as core and need IMEI. What are they thinking?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
how to check md5sums under windows:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=51

with md5sum, you get a hash (a "key") which should be the same as in the file MD5SUM on the image download page.
if the key is any different than what the official MD5SUM says, your download has an error and you have to re-download.

Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
Wow. This part proves to me that Nokia makes thing harder for us. Linksys doesn't need IMEI for its routers. Dell doesn't need IMEI for their bios/drivers downloaded. N8x0,N9x0 mostly use Linux as core and need IMEI. What are they thinking?
Excuse me? The N8x0's didn't have an IMEI to provide. They were NOT cell phones. They were Internet Tablets. A legacy that this forum seems to be quickly forgetting.

Try this it might help.

For windows xp you can download a checksum utility the link is
here

There is also instruction on how to use it, it's pretty straight forward. Hopefully this will help!

The Following User Says Thank You to adosanjh For This Useful Post: