Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dude, you just made the most noise about it. We all had our "wtf" moments with the MeeGo wiki.

Looking at the website team, it is clear that they're all Intel/Moblin guys, so we need to bring them in on the discussion. I hope they don't get upset that we're over here talking about changing the website they built...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
My opinions to the matter at hand...

1st - As mentioned and stressed many times before the single-sing-in is a must

[QUOTE;Volt]It is more important than anything else if you want my kind of people to follow from this site to the other one. Personally I would love to vote on brainstorms. But I do not because I will not create another user account. I have bugs to report and suggestions to how to improve them - it's part of my daytime job to create fix bugs - but I will not create a new account for bugzilla... [/QUOTE]

2nd - Somekind of a voluntary migration of the most important account statistics would be good compromise. (wouldn't do much for us noobs but...) The old and the wise (the ones that have laboured and contributed on behalf of Maemo.org and Moblin.org for long and hard) would not have to start from scrach and from both maemo and moblin wizards would also recognise each other more easily right from the beginning. There could be some "migration tool" inside the MeeGo.com account management where every user could migrate their own Maemo/Moblin account statistics to MeeGo.com account.

Last edited by ezcola; 2010-02-18 at 18:27. Reason: change of words

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by ezcola View Post
The old and the wise (the ones that have laboured and contributed on behalf of Maemo.org and Moblin.org for long and hard) would not have to start from scrach and from both maemo and moblin wizards would also recognise each other more easily right from the beginning.
I don't know. Maybe not a bad idea to start from scratch. New OS, new, even field for everyone. No carry-over Karma, post totals, etc. Also, since there were no forums for Moblin users wouldn't they immediately feel 'bad' about all those Maemo people coming over with a lot of 'history'.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I don't know. Maybe not a bad idea to start from scratch. New OS, new, even field for everyone. No carry-over Karma, post totals, etc. Also, since there were no forums for Moblin users wouldn't they immediately feel 'bad' about all those Maemo people coming over with a lot of 'history'.
Point taken.

That would create an uneven/unfair situation to start from.

...Is it just me or do others find it a bit odd that they (old moblin.org community) don't have any proper forum and thus no "history" to migrate/convert into the new forum?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
On second thought, migrating the 30,000 members and providing a continuing path should be our first priority.
How many of those are active?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As of about 6 months ago, half of the accounts were disabled (e.g. spammers and the like). So already we can say the number of active users is < 15,000.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
How many of those are Orange Box?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'd like to keep this format for this Forum, but start from scratch and use single sign on for all parts of site. I feel really bad for the older devices though that have nothing to do with meego, somehow doesn't feel natural for them to follow to meego, but don't wanna leave them out either :/

Also have to play nice and let Moblin integrate in to Maemo so we can advance to MeeGo, that's why starting from scratch is important to level the playing field.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Dude, you just made the most noise about it. We all had our "wtf" moments with the MeeGo wiki.

Looking at the website team, it is clear that they're all Intel/Moblin guys, so we need to bring them in on the discussion. I hope they don't get upset that we're over here talking about changing the website they built...
Randomly thinking about it more from the MeeGo side, perhaps we shouldn't count on a high degree of integration.

MeeGo is going to support multiple x86 and ARM based devices from a wide range of OEMs. Nokia provides most of the ARM based code, and is also a device manufacturer. We are used to Maemo being an integrated software stack from low level all the way up to UX. But if you read Nokia's software strategy paper, MeeGo is just the OS - it doesn't include the UI and other elements of the software or the CPU. So MeeGo is going to be similar to Android in the respect that there may be a lot of other software on top of it (some proprietary) that is going to vary from device to device and manufacturer to manufacturer.

If you are a "benevolent dictator" at meego.com responsible for the success of MeeGo OS, are you going to want to spend a lot of time dealing with stuff other than the OS? I think not. You will say to people, we will provide the best OS we can, and you the OEMs provide the best devices you can using it.

On the community front, are you going to want a lot of people from t.m.o (or elsewhere) talking about their issues, many of which are not about the OS itself, on meego.com talking about those non-OS issues. Probably not. What is the benefit for doing so when you have a multi-layered ecosystem. And what will you say to the other manufacturers using MeeGo, bring your forums too and we will have a rainbow coalition of people talking about their interests. I doubt it. You will want the technical people that can help the OS and that's it. Of course, this is conjecture and I don't know what Meego wants.

Now back to maemo.org, Nokia's MeeGo devices are going to have Ovi and presumably use a Maemo derived UI on them. Are there going to be issues to be discussed about the Nokia MeeGo devices' UI and Ovi that are similar to many of those discussed now on t.m.o? Yes. Will we try to get MeeGo to run on N900 and Maemo apps to run on MeeGo? Yes. So there will be reasons for discussion on t.m.o. that are unique to Nokia meego devices and not other devices or Meego itself? Yes.

It's not that we shouldn't try to integrate and do everything we can to work with MeeGo. We should. But with the Android like structure and business model for MeeGo, I wonder if it will ultimately make sense to everyone involved to do so. I am not necessarily despondent for the future of maemo.org in any event. Maemo.org grew up around one or two maemo devices at a time, there should be more Nokia MeeGo devices and software in the future and plenty for maemo.org to do.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by ezcola View Post
...Is it just me or do others find it a bit odd that they (old moblin.org community) don't have any proper forum and thus no "history" to migrate/convert into the new forum?
Probably because they know that all forums suck and mailing lists are much more effective.

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego