Hi all

Have a few questions

If N900 runs the core linux just as the desktop PC, then can a JVM be install in the n900 to run Java Applet.

Also can a stock chart application be downloaded from the internet and run in the N900 for example the application of incredibleCharts Pro application

Thanks

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I have seen posts from folks that have gotten Java to work, so it is definitely doable. And there is no reason why it wouldn't be doable. But a JVM needs to be written for a particular system. It is (as the name implies) the virtual machine that translates a standard java request (for example, accessing a file or obtaining memory) into the system-specific request for that system. So the JVM needs to be created for ARM (which it has) and that may need to be further tweaked to run under Maemo.

I'm not familiar with incredibleCharts, but theoretically anything can be ported to work on the N900, especially if it was already written for the Gnome variant of linux, and moreso if it was written with the QT framework or in Python. The question is how useable it will be on the small screen, small keyboard, slower processor (compared to your desktop computer), and more limited internet connection. You will see some ported programs (like KeepassX) which are fully useable on the N900 but which are not tweaked to use the local interface features. Other ports, such as Conboy, are heavily or completely rewritten to suit the small screen.

Chances are, though, if the app has "pro" in its name, it is not free or open source. The folks who wrote it will have to port it themselves or release the source code so that someone else can do it for them (if they have the urge).

I predict it won't be too long before there is a decent Java implementation for the N900. I also predict an android emulator to go with it, but don't hold your breath for that (and we'll see what access to the Android app store is allowed). I have no idea whether that might bring java applet support to the browser, but I don't see why not.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Some people claim that the JVM for embedded Linux works just fine from the Sun web page. Search for Java (in the topic titles), you'll find some good discussions about it.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Have a look at this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37405

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Somebody just put icedtea in the dev repo, so soon it might be easy to install.

I'd ever tried Java SE for embedded from sun/oracle on both N900 and N810. It has full Java SE support, and works perfectly on both platform.

I can also use Java ME emulator over SE to run opera mini, the only problem is the fonts configuration is not trivial for Java ME emulator.

Here's the official website:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/embedded.jsp