Posts: 149 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dallas
Originally Posted by nilsbenson View Post
I have been a T-Mobile customer for the last four years, and while their coverage isn't the best it has come a LONG way. I am also a heavy user of the unlimited data and tethering. I have been doing this for the last two years with an N78, G1, and now the n900.

I have far fewer problems than my co-workers who all use the company provided AT&T plans (iPhones), and superior data speeds with 3.5g (Dallas, Austin, Houston).

YMMV.
What area in Dallas/Fort Worth are you from? i've been trying to find fellow N900 folks in the dallas area since it seems like there is a lot. is there a gathering that is hosted in the city?

Originally Posted by msnger View Post
I'm getting full bars 3.5 all the time, too bad I don't have enough battery to enjoy it.

Flushing,NY
I grabbed a 2nd battery (OEM) off of amazon.com for $26. I just carry it in an old "thumb drive case" on my key chain.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
From South San Jose, I'm getting about the same page load times via T-Mobile as I get via broadband and SoHo WAP. No more dropped calls, which was a huge problem when I was on AT&T. Every week I was getting dropped calls or fast busy tones on AT&T while the phone showed 6 bars and 3G. Everything is working great on T-Mobile here.

In the Silicon Valley golden triangle, there are huge dead spots; T-Mobile is just as bad as AT&T in these areas as I don't see any improvement (other than no more dropped calls). At my tiny cubical, I can go from no signal whatsoever to 5 bars of 3G depending on the direction I'm facing and the phones position. If I use my right hand to type on the keyboard, I loose at least 3 bars of signal, sometimes loosing it completely. Yes, there are oportunities for T-Mobile improvement here...

Overall, I'm so happy to be off of the far too oversubscribed AT&T network in the SF Bay Area. My wife is getting sick of my "why don't you get a real phone" comments about her intermittently networked iPhoney nowadays.

BTW about battery, big issue probably almost for everybody. So im thinking to get one of this JuiceBar http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/c5a7/. No its not what you think )))

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ dallas, tx usa
Originally Posted by M A S T E R View Post
What area in Dallas/Fort Worth are you from? i've been trying to find fellow N900 folks in the dallas area since it seems like there is a lot. is there a gathering that is hosted in the city?

I'm in east Dallas, with an office in the downtown/Deep Ellum area. AFAIK there was a meetup posted here somewhere, but that was all before I got the phone and got here. The only other n900 user I know is a guy I talked to at my local t-mobile store when I went looking for a cheap car charger.

Originally Posted by jn183 View Post
2000min, unlimited text, and data plan for $25 w/o contract too??? You sure about that?
$10 web since you just apply which mean no grandfather web plan
$6 or $10 unlimited text
2000min for $5 or $10....

Anyway, T-mobile coverage in Chicago and nearby area are great for me. Mainly 3G/3.5G
see for yourself lol yeah hard to believe though

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dallas
Originally Posted by nilsbenson View Post
I'm in east Dallas, with an office in the downtown/Deep Ellum area. AFAIK there was a meetup posted here somewhere, but that was all before I got the phone and got here. The only other n900 user I know is a guy I talked to at my local t-mobile store when I went looking for a cheap car charger.
Cool I was in the irving area now i am more of the south dallas area. There should definitely be more meetings. maybe at a barns and noble or some cool lounge in down town during weekends or something but i dont want to get off topic. But i must say the Signal strength in Dallas is great.

MASTER

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ dallas, tx usa
Originally Posted by M A S T E R View Post
Cool I was in the irving area now i am more of the south dallas area. There should definitely be more meetings. maybe at a barns and noble or some cool lounge in down town during weekends or something but i dont want to get off topic. But i must say the Signal strength in Dallas is great.

MASTER
Signal in Dallas is great, as is the typical 3g speed. Sadly, there's no 3.5g on my half of town. Houston and Austin on the other hand have pretty full 3.5 and it is FAST. Speed tests have me breaking 2MB/sec on files > 1MB in size.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
did you try to hold the phone in one hand and a little bit of twistted tin-foil in the other, raised above your head? lol...j/k.

while i do not think that the coverage is better then when i used my e90, having the 3 and 3.5G certainly is a great thing.

i believe the phone still needs to have better stability in the phone reception area, but other then that, it is good on the network.

i happen to live in the vortex of 3 cellular sites for t-mobile at my home. so my coverage goes from nothing to 3.5G depending on the wind! lmao.

but for the most part, it is very good.

but they all have thier holes, especially in the bay area. so it just depends on where you go.
You wanna do comedy?
OK, Fine.

<comedy>

I asked T-mobile rep for help with my reception.

"I'm getting cut off from 3g once an hour when I tether. What's the problem goda** it!"
I said.

He said, "Cell phone signals are easy to block. You're tall so you should get a better signal than other people. Try to not sit down when you tether. Keep your phone in your chest pocket or if you have a hat with a pocket, put your phone into your hat."

I said, "I gotta stand up?!
I stand up 12 hours a day at my job, how can you do this too me? Arggg!"

He said, "we can't guarantee 100% coverage in all areas. Some areas may be beyond our reach at this time."

I said, "that's bullsh**! If I were an astronaut you would cover me! You would point your satellites at me if I was on the space station and bathe me in a plethora of cell phone waves!
Give me coverage or give me death!"

He said, "we don't officially support or deny tethering so you are free to get advice and help from others on how to do it.
I can see you are a stand up guy so you can figure it out."

I said, "that's it! I'm holding a tea party in front of your t-mobile office.

I'm bringing my above ground pool and 200 people and we are all going to put our phones into big tea bags and throw them into the pool and then we are going to picket in front of your office with signs that say "bad coverage/over priced"........
and then we are going to watch an illegal copy of Avatar on a projector pointed at the outside wall of your building with my car stereo speakers.
Woooooo it's gonna rock.
I'm bringing the pain, so get ready beeeeatch! Get ready for the media.
We 'bout to bring the truth up in here."
</comedy>

So anyways.
What I am finding is that when tethering (after 4 or so days on t-mobile) they reset my connection about once every 1.7 hours but I have to maintain a constant stream through video or WOW game or else I get dropped but phone still says connected and sometimes I have to restart the phone. Even if I maintain a connection such as buffering hulu videos colbert report I still get dropped 1.7 hours.

Much worse than AT&T edge on maintaining a connection but faster if connection is kept and I have the phone almost to the ceiling on a tripod.
So watching hulu tv shows straight through becomes impossible.

The point here is that T-mobile picks and chooses who and when to cover and uses filters of some sort and then denies that they are doing it.

i have a problem with my 3G on tmobile

when i was in houston, i got good signals for 3G sometimes 3.5G

but so far, i went to college station, my 3G turned down sometimes. sometimes i couldnt get any signal from 3G , when i changed back to GSM i could able to received signal but not 3G

i dont no if this only happens to my n900 or to others