Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I'm new to linux code and file structure. I'm just learning the commands and I read last month the file structure theory so this article is a little over my head but it sounds important and maybe you guys want to discuss it.

From http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE4NTk

"Steven Starr as a Linux desktop developer wrote into Phoronix with his views (well, it's more along the lines of a brief rant but does spark a valid point) on Qt5 about the change.

I wonder about Qt developers some times.

Qt5 is OpenGL based right, well XCB is a requirement on Linux now, it wasn't on Qt4. And XLIB isn't supported.

Let me throw out a quote from the XCB devs.

XCB-GLX only communicates with the X server, it does not perform any hardware initialization or touch the OpenGL client-side state. Because of this XCB-GLX cannot be used as a replacement for the GLX API. To use OpenGL in the X Windowing system, one must use the GLX API, and the GLX API is closely coupled with Xlib. As a result, an OpenGL application on the X Windows must use Xlib and thus can't be done using only XCB. [Citation]

So what does this mean?

It means that they're forcing us to install and use XCB that doesn't support Hardware Accelerated Graphics using your ATI/NVIDIA binary drivers. And it ends up reverting back and using XLIB/GLX anyways. "

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I can't agree with Starr's point of view here. Qt is, and has always been, a cross-platform GUI framework. As such, it must make compromises to ensure that the same Qt code will run on Linux, Mac, or Windows (to the extent that is possible, in any case). Starr seems to want full access to the best low-level graphics packages available on Linux; if that really is the case, he should be working directly with the native Linux libraries, rather than trying to go through Qt...

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I agree with you. I've been reading some more since posting that link. I'm just a linux baby just barely learning about all this stuff because I just converted to linux from Windows thanks to Elop and Microhard's history of war with linux by proxy disgusting me.

Also there's this from:http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE4NDA

"- EGL showing it can be a compelling alternative to GLX for the windowing system binding. Intel has already told application developers to target EGL rather than GLX. Wayland also does away with GLX in favor of EGL. An Intel Linux developer has also been working on Waffle for run-time selection of the windowing system and GL implementation. "

QT is going wayland so.....

That article is about Nvidia staff proposing a new OpenGL ABI
which sounds good to me.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-09-16 at 20:57.