Notices

BleachBit is an open source tool that cleans unnecessary files to free disk space and maintain privacy.

I'm just posting this announcement to let you all know that I have manage to install and run it on my N900 and that so far I have not seen any problems with it.

In fact, by watching BleachBit in action it helped me successfully located my old Chromium left overs folder and in turn then finally completely remove all traces of Chromium.

WARNING/DICLAIMER:
The purpose of this software is to delete, erase and overwrite files, as such use it at your own risk, if you delete or loose any file by mistake or due to another fault, then don't come back and blame anyone. I take no responsability what so ever if you loose any data because you used this software.

With that warning/disclaimer covering my backside and out of the way, I'm just another normal user who owns an N900 and I'm not linked or associate with this project what-so-ever, however I like the software and so far I have not seen any issues with, as such I'm posting this to share with you how you can install the software and how you can use it.

1st - I highly recommend that before you try this in your N900, that you download the windows portable version of this software (or another linux version if you using a flavour of linux(note: debian version does not install on the N900)), extract it and have a play with it in windows environment first so that you can become familiar with what the software is suppose to do.

BleachBit web site is located here : http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Latest windows Portable version here.

Here you can see some screenshots:
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/screenshots

Warning: The software seems very good in terms of warning you about dangers like deleting you favourites, etc, typically if you cancel, then the particular option behind the warning is then not select, the application also hides cleaners relating to components that are not installed in the system, these will more clear as you become more familiar with it.

The above information should be enough for you to start using the windows version if you wish.

I have tested BleachBit in the following Operating systems:
windows 7 64bit
windows vista 64bit
windows XP SP3
Windows 2003 server (VMware)
Easy Debian
and Maemo PR 1.2

Here is how you can get this software installed in your N900, however I suspect it should also work fine in earlier tablets but I have only tested it on the N900.

Download and instruction are found here:

Source
Use the source code when an installation package is not available for your platform or you wish to develop the software. Most users do not want the source.

bleachbit-0.8.1.tar.bz2 (best choice for most people wanting source code)
•bleachbit-0.8.1.tar.gz
•bleachbit-0.8.1.tar.lzma

To run, download the tarball and simply run these commands:

tar xvjf bleachbit-0.8.1.tar.bz2
cd bleachbit-0.8.1
make -C po local
python bleachbit.py

NOTE: the instruction highlighted in red above did not work in my N900, so I just skip it, you should still be able to start the .PY app as long as you have python installed.

I was able to run the software with and without root, however it looked better with root.

Note: the first time you start it, or after you choose "shred and quit" option from the menu, it prompts you to choose and to delete some of the Cleaners (these are files that hold customized settings for diferent components), just ignore it and don't delete any, the software will automatically hide components that do not exist in the particular system, e.g. after I fully deleted all traces of Chromium from my N900 the cleaner no longer appeared in the available cleaning options.

I would say that root might be essential to clean some of the files but not others... and most likely we will have to add Cleaners for components only found in Maemo like MicroB for example, etc

resuming: after extracting the archive to start you need to execute something like this: python bleachbit.py

Once BleachBit opens, you will need to select what categories/options you would like to clean, then you click on the preview button to see what BleachBit finds to delete, finally once you know what you want to delete, then click the delete button, take a look at the video below if you still confused or not sure how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPtTKxj7Kg

BleachBit also offers command prompt option, if you need it see here:
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/doc...n/command-line

Here are some videos: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/videos

Good luck and don't blame me if you loose your fotos or your data

Last edited by windows7; 2010-10-16 at 22:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
i never saw this thread. what do we do?

My"Current Project(s)":
[Resurrecting] DON

Originally Posted by humble View Post
i never saw this thread. what do we do?

I haven't tried your installation as my n900 is packed up for good, but if the installer works then that is all people should need.

what i would say is that starting the bleachbit python app as root seems to look better then when running it without root.

this is compitible with pr 1.3 or nt?

CasTTeLLo

Originally Posted by CasTTeLLo View Post
this is compitible with pr 1.3 or nt?
bleachbit is only a python app so it runs anywhere with python.

I recommend that you play about with the windows version first so you become familiar with how it works.

Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Humble has kindly been working on a .deb install which will work with PR1.3 on his BleachBit thread,

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67420

Kind Regards,
D4rKlar
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

The Following User Says Thank You to D4rKlar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post

I haven't tried your installation as my n900 is packed up for good, but if the installer works then that is all people should need.

what i would say is that starting the bleachbit python app as root seems to look better then when running it without root.
no problem, i'm getting there too. (just wanted to make sure everythings copasetic)

i start it with root but also with run-standalone.sh so that its hilldonized.(but i agree not in looking better but easier to use with a stylus)

My"Current Project(s)":
[Resurrecting] DON