Active Topics

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by mason View Post
can we have a bashing subforum? this would help to clear out the view here...
im reading here since 1-2 years since i bought the n810, but now with the 900 the forum goes bonkers with all the people who drop in and have nothing constructive to say ... too sad
Be careful in saying this here cos you cant actually say that you like maemo or n900 here since you are accused of being a fanboy...

Its like going to a U2 concert and being shooshed and bashed if you clap..

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Mumbai, India
Have you ever spent time to explore the site even? Flashing a newer firmware gets these problems fixed! Try the 5.0.42.11 Global release firmware.

Even bothered to see bugszilla section?

Just one small bug makes you send back the best device Nokia ever created since the E90... you really need to think twice and hang on to it.

Give it time, newer firmware updates will just make your experience into a pleasant one.

Last edited by Soheil; 2009-12-03 at 13:08.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Be careful in saying this here cos you cant actually say that you like maemo or n900 here since you are accused of being a fanboy...

Its like going to a U2 concert and being shooshed and bashed if you clap..
tutut, anyone else starting to get nausea from his whining?

barfbarf!

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by osfight.de View Post
This whole "it is not a phone thing" charade is ridiculous, as it is just a software issue to implement all phone functions and somewhat implies that the Nokia guys have been lazy. However, I am fine with waiting a while to get the other stuff done. Nokia go.
But the thing is: Nokia told us all this beforehand! They were clear the Maemo was not yet ready for consumer smartphone use, hence they were releasing a step 4 of 5 - a mobile computer with phone functionality.

It is not about lazy, it is about Maemo not yet being ready for all that we have come to expect from smartphones. Call it being late, if you must. It is a mobile computer first, a phone second because of this - they told us that, very clear, very honest. If that is not a product for you, that is OK, but don't act like Nokia didn't announce this and design it like this.

Last edited by iJanne; 2009-12-03 at 13:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Londrina, PR - Brazil
I think this all is comprehensible.. After all, this is a experimental phone, but some people found it to be so awesome, and created a so big hype, that normal people are buying it thinking it's a final/consumer version and demanding it to be far superior then competition.

That's the effect of misinformation: hell on our Maemo forums :P

The Following User Says Thank You to puelocesar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
I think this all is comprehensible.. After all, this is a experimental phone, but some people found it to be so awesome, and created a so big hype, that normal people are buying it thinking it's a final/consumer version and demanding it to be far superior then competition.

That's the effect of misinformation: hell on our Maemo forums :P
This is, of course, exactly what happened. A lot of the media attention too has misunderstood or misreported what this device is all about. (And I'm sure plenty of overly eager Nokia salespeople and PR guys to blame too.)

Do not buy the N900 expecting a ready-made smartphone experience! Please don't, you'll just be disappointed.

If on the other hand you want a mobile computer with good browsing experience, great multi-tasking operating system and open source potential - as well as a device that can do most of your phone needs too, then the N900 might be for you.

The N900 is certainly near perfect for me. All I miss is a bit more content of course, rSAP would be nice, MMS I might need occasionally. And please, fix that playlist management for those who need it. Otherwise, this is the best device with phone I've owned. The screen is absolutely brilliant and stylus-navigation kicks my iPod touch's butt. Like I said earlier, I even moved my iTunes library to the N900 and just love browsing those albums covers on this great screen (so many of them fit at a time) - before I used an iPod separately from my phones.

Last edited by iJanne; 2009-12-03 at 13:28.

I'll tell you, what your problem is:

Originally Posted by vasputin View Post
i've been a loyal, long time fan and user of NOKIAs
You shouldn't be loyal, you should use your damn brain. The n900 is obviously not meant for the regular user. It hower _does_ offer an insane amount of opportunity to the avarage linux geek, who knows exactly what he wants and has learned to cope with the disatvantages of linux. The advantages far outweigh the downsides. If these advantages aren't of any use to you, the n900 is rubbish. Why did you buy it. It is not for you.

If it wasn't for you damn Nokia fanbois, I'd have an n900 is my hands by now. Why do you just run off buying devices blindly without reading any reviews. It was obvious for a long time that it lacks some functionality that might be important to you.

Stop biŧching.

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2009-12-03 at 13:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
@kanishou

Yup - we'll agree to disagree. Yes I am definitely saying that Nokia should not have released the N900 as is. There are serious bugs out there - random calls, microphone problems (apparently due to the Nokia charger supplying 5.3V!), bluetooth problems, contacts dissapearing, devices rebooting randomly and so on. Of course bugs will be around, but I feel Nokia rushed this one out again. These bugs have been reported within days of being released. Don't tell me Nokia's testers didn't spot them, and pushed ahead with the launch.

I am not a developer, nor is my knowledge with Linux vast. However when you say completely new development, my understanding is that the N900 is a continuation of the N700/N800/N810, and that Maemo has been around for years now.

The reason that Nokia need the N900 to redeem itself is because of the shakyness of the N97. Confidence in Nokia's products has been dented, and we look to the N900 to restore that confidence. As you say, the N97 was marketed as the flagship device, but faced criticism over the OS, processor, available RAM, UI, stability and hardware (camera lens cover) - when a device was announced that improved all these issues, it makes sense to see it as being a superior device - and it is. It's early days yet, but I still think that some of the bugs could have been tracked down before launch.

To be honest I don't have an N900 yet, but will still get one regardless. I'm prepared for all of the above bugs, because they all sound fixable via updates (apart from the possible charger fault). However, I think sales will suffer.

Again, has anyone else had these bluetooth issues the poster refers to?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Londrina, PR - Brazil
@pspbricker, I think the main problem here it's not people spotting bugs. The problem is the constant *****ing on the forums. It's typical behavior of average consumer, they want their devices to work flawlessly, and they are right, but the point is, this device is not consumer ready, it's a toy for developers (a very nice, powerful and expensive toy I must say :P), so these kind of people shouldn't buying these devices..

This is a situation that's bad for everyone, us, Maemo 4 users, because the forum is becoming useless for us, Nokia, because their image is being destroyed, the public of the N900 is intended for, because they get angry and annoyed with all the ranting, and even people like the original poster, that probably all he wanted was a "jesus phone", but got a technology preview of it..

How to fix it? Well, bloggers, stop the hype, advertise it as what the real thing is, a developer's phone

The Following User Says Thank You to puelocesar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hilversum
Originally Posted by pspbricker View Post
@kanishou

Yup - we'll agree to disagree. Yes I am definitely saying that Nokia should not have released the N900 as is. There are serious bugs out there - random calls, microphone problems (apparently due to the Nokia charger supplying 5.3V!), bluetooth problems, contacts dissapearing, devices rebooting randomly and so on. Of course bugs will be around, but I feel Nokia rushed this one out again. These bugs have been reported within days of being released. Don't tell me Nokia's testers didn't spot them, and pushed ahead with the launch.

I am not a developer, nor is my knowledge with Linux vast. However when you say completely new development, my understanding is that the N900 is a continuation of the N700/N800/N810, and that Maemo has been around for years now.

The reason that Nokia need the N900 to redeem itself is because of the shakyness of the N97. Confidence in Nokia's products has been dented, and we look to the N900 to restore that confidence. As you say, the N97 was marketed as the flagship device, but faced criticism over the OS, processor, available RAM, UI, stability and hardware (camera lens cover) - when a device was announced that improved all these issues, it makes sense to see it as being a superior device - and it is. It's early days yet, but I still think that some of the bugs could have been tracked down before launch.

To be honest I don't have an N900 yet, but will still get one regardless. I'm prepared for all of the above bugs, because they all sound fixable via updates (apart from the possible charger fault). However, I think sales will suffer.

Again, has anyone else had these bluetooth issues the poster refers to?
I've (almost) always had Nokias since I have mobile phones (3200, 3300, brief time with Ericsson T68i, 6600,N80) and the N80 has *really* *really* disappointed me and, at the time, I said "Nokia no more".

But I reconsidered with the N900 - it's an amazing device, and when the competition is either the iPhone, the various Androids or the Pre (the Windows Mobile ones are not even competition for me) the choice is clear.

Having said that, Nokia better step up their game. Their acquisition of Trolltech was pure genius and I hope their Qt-fueled revamp of S60 and the new Maemo platform goes well, because an Apple dominated market is not good at all, as IMO it stifles creativity and certain freedoms for the sake of what THEY think is OK for you to do with YOUR phone. But shipping 600€ phones with obvious bugs is NOT COOL - whether you're a techie (who can live with it) or an Average Joe (or Joanne).

I'm trying to get an N900 in Portugal (it's almost impossible) and the main focus, for me, are the non-phone features - the "phone" part of the phone itself is almost an afterthought for me.

HOWEVER, since the thing costs 600€, I did my research - obviously! And dudes and dudettes: if you haven't, I don't get your total absence of money-loving

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sardaukar For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen