Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
Would POLL_TIME = CONSTANT + GEOM eat more cpu once it hit the 2m max? If not, I'd favor this method as sms's seem to go in conversations (e.g. a friend and I will txt frequently over the course of a 5 minute discussion, and then not again for hours or days).

And is One Ring a separate app, or added functionality to dialcentral? (I'm sure it's been addressed here previously, apologies if the question has become tiring).
Kind of hard to make this clear with my example time lines.

POLL_TIME = min(CONSTANT + GEOM, MAX) will take longer to reach MAX, but once it does it will poll as frequently as POLL_TIME = min(GEOM, MAX).

The One Ring is a separate app that plugs into RTComm, the chat/voice app builtin to Maemo 4.1 and Maemo 5.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Kind of hard to make this clear with my example time lines.

POLL_TIME = min(CONSTANT + GEOM, MAX) will take longer to reach MAX, but once it does it will poll as frequently as POLL_TIME = min(GEOM, MAX).

The One Ring is a separate app that plugs into RTComm, the chat/voice app builtin to Maemo 4.1 and Maemo 5.
Gotcha, so the cpu overhead you were referring to was just due to checking for updates more frequently and not a function of the implementation in code.

That'd be my preference...

Would it be possible to get some type of push notification, instead of polling in The One Ring?

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
epage:
Glad to offer at least a little bit of assistance. Dialcentral is one of my favorite tablet applications, and it's really the only one that I couldn't just steal from a debian arm repo. Your work is most appreciated.

Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
Would it be possible to get some type of push notification, instead of polling in The One Ring?
I am not aware of Google providing any means for push notification. Dialcentral currently does user-invoked polling, same with pygooglevoice. GVMax added "push" support but its done by forwarding to email addresses and hackery related to that. I think I heard even the Android app does 5 minute polling.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Installed 1.0.9-0 yesterday. had no luck making a call with Gizmo until today.
Glad to have it working again. Thanks for all the work.

Originally Posted by n9ots View Post
Installed 1.0.9-0 yesterday. had no luck making a call with Gizmo until today.
Glad to have it working again. Thanks for all the work.
I'm waiting to do some testing on 1.0.9-1 before I push to extras-testing

I am not aware of Google providing any means for push notification. Dialcentral currently does user-invoked polling, same with pygooglevoice. GVMax added "push" support but its done by forwarding to email addresses and hackery related to that. I think I heard even the Android app does 5 minute polling.
You're right, android does only work via polling. Do you think it's likely that google will provide some means of push notification in the future? If so, perhaps we should deal with polling like android until that day comes along.

The Following User Says Thank You to thommy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thommy View Post
You're right, android does only work via polling. Do you think it's likely that google will provide some means of push notification in the future? If so, perhaps we should deal with polling like android until that day comes along.
Well, if they provide an XMPP or WebSocket API, then that would work out well.

Another approach is to imitate GVMax and have the polling done on a server and use XMPP or IMAP IDLE for push to the device

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Well, if they provide an XMPP or WebSocket API, then that would work out well.

Another approach is to imitate GVMax and have the polling done on a server and use XMPP or IMAP IDLE for push to the device
It would be quite frustrating to have gone through all of the trouble of programming and setting up a server and, at the same time, making the client setup process more convoluted, to have Google then release an API. But who knows if they'll even ever release one.
And, just for clarification, GVMax doesn't poll -- the server responds when it receives an email that was pushed by GV and then forwarded via a filter to the server.

The Following User Says Thank You to thommy For This Useful Post: