I couldn't try this while in Greece but I'm now back in the UK trying to set the N810 for my next trip. I installed privoxy 3.0.6 and put this in user.action (at the end of the file):
Code:
{+server-header-filter{xml-to-html}}
/
This follows the example in the manual here and seems to be recommended rather than content-type-overwrite.

Result: the privoxy daemon fails. I haven't found an error message anywhere yet.

Does this work for anyone else?

Also, I tried setting 'enable-edit-actions' in config but it didn't. Does the web-based editor work in this version?

Dave

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
(Shameless plug...)

I just rebuilt privoxy 3.0.8 for my N800. Perhaps you could give it a try and see if the newer version solves your problem.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Athens, Greece
DaveRo - I'm greek and have a recipe for privoxy with content-type-overwrite that seems to work. I have only tested it with my Linux laptop, not with maemo, though. I'll post it when I get back home this afternoon.

content-type-override works on the N810. But I'd prefer to use server-header-filter - it's more selective - I don't have to specify all the exceptions. Has anyone got filters to work with this build?

server-header-filter works on a Linux Laptop (OpenSuSE 11.0) with version 3.0.8 - using the code I posted above.
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
I just rebuilt privoxy 3.0.8 for my N800. Perhaps you could give it a try and see if the newer version solves your problem.
I'll give it a try.

terrencegf: The xml-to-html server-header-filter works with your version 3.0.8. Thanks.

I think I'm nearly there. When using the Greek mobile I think all I have to do is point privoxy at the WAP proxy using the forward config line. I'll test that with a public proxy.

Thanks to all.

Actually, the use of privoxy for this single purpose is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Someone on the prepaidgsm.net forum wrote a neat little perl script to do the job - which I refer to in my post here. But I can't get it to work on the Nokia. Any perl experts willing to help debug it?

I haven't tried the script, but my guess after a quick look is that your N8x0 is missing the 'HTTP::Proxy' and/or the 'LWP::UserAgent' perl modules. You can test the script with the command
Code:
perl -c name-of-script
which doesn't execute it, but it will tell you if those modules are missing (or any other error) (Note that if the modules are missing on your installation it could be that they're not available at all - I haven't checked)

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I haven't tried the script, but my guess after a quick look is that your N8x0 is missing the 'HTTP::Proxy' and/or the 'LWP::UserAgent' perl modules.
What I did was copy the relevant perl modules from my OpenSuse box - by trial and error. Eventually I got it to run. It issued one warning:
Code:
Can't locate loadable object for module Sys::Hostname in @INC (@INC contains: ...) at Sys/Hostname.pm line 27
but the compile didn't fail.
Then, on entering a URL, I got this in the browser:
Code:
501 Can't locate object method "new" via package "LWP::Protocol::http"
followed by more warnings in the terminal:
Code:
ERROR: Getting request failed: Client closed
It kept running, though.

The 'perl c' command also gives me that first warning. Sys/Hostname is there - but I suspect that it doesn't work on the Nokia. And whether that's anything to do with the 501 error - I don't know.

It all works on the Linux laptop.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by DaveRo View Post
terrencegf: The xml-to-html server-header-filter works with your version 3.0.8. Thanks.
Ah no need to post a config file with a lot of exceptions, then.

Originally Posted by DaveRo View Post
Actually, the use of privoxy for this single purpose is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Still, you get very good ad-blocking for free -- Before the era of Adblocker in Mozilla or Content Blocker in Opera, I had been using Privoxy for my normal browsing for years.