http://mynewpalm.com/
Also palm.com redirects to this website too.

It seems like Alcatel already confirmed that they are indeed continuing the Palm legacy.

Link to article.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
As WebOS has been acquired by LG, I don't see too much legacy left.

Save the name: Palm (as in facePalm )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Isn't WebOS open-source?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS
Code specific to the existing devices was released as webOS Community Edition (CE), with support for the existing HP hardware. Open webOS includes open source libraries designed to target a wider range of hardware.
LG Electronics is allowed unlimited access to the documentation, source code, developers and all related websites.
HP will still hold on to patents underlying WebOS as well as cloud-based services such as the App Catalog.

Palm Pre 2 was not that bad...

Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
I can see Alcatel selling Palm phones that are actually running Android and have nothing to do with webOS.

You heard it first...

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
And why not WebOS? WebOS is open-source, and already here. Just make ApkEnv for WebOS. Possibly create Palm-look-alikes with better specifications, or re-furbish old Palm Pre by putting higher-specification chips into them (whatever is cheaper). And they might be sold like hot.

“rebuild the brand involving Palm’s very own community, making it the largest scale crowd-sourced project ever seen in the industry.” - sounds like they are going to continue with WebOS. Or maybe, LuneOS.

Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
SO webOS is at LG, and Palm is at Alcatel?

Suddenly an announcement of LG and Alcatel joint venture....

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Why not webOS (and Android) ?

Well its because Android is doing so well that even Microsoft is contemplating on selling Windows Phone with Android-support.

Would you buy a Microsoft Lumia device that can sideload Android Apps?
I wouldn't. I'd just go buy an Android device (and get direct support).

And before you say it is false, nein, it is true. It is in Microsoft's Research Lab.
Its just not realized yet, and may not be. However, MS themselves honored the curiosity.

It seems like they're desperate for a piece of the mobile market, so they should've either acted sooner, or offered better products, or just become a service. Something like this:

I mean imagine an AOSP that's stripped bare.
Add in Metro for UI, Xbox Live for games, movies and music, Windows Media Centre/Player for playback, MS Office for office, Cortana for personal assistance, HERE for Navigation, OneDrive for cloud storage, Outlook for email, Skype for messaging, Bing for Search.

vs (Google's)

Material Design UI, Play Store for content, generic google media player, Google Docs for office, Google Now for personal assistance, Maps for Navigation, Google Drive for cloud storage, Gmail for email, Hangouts for messaging, Google for search.

Also ecosystems for Apple, Amazon/Yahoo, and open-source ecosystem.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Why not webOS (and Android) ?
Palm is known for WebOS. Using just the Palm name and slapping Android on it would be like Nokia putting out an Android based tablet that's built in China...

wait...

Well its because Android is doing so well that even Microsoft is contemplating on selling Windows Phone with Android-support.
MS is currently very active on Android. They've supported it for a while. Don't forget that the Nokia Android devices came out and Elop was aware of them and didn't stop them.

Would you buy a Microsoft Lumia device that can sideload Android Apps?
No.

And before you say it is false, nein, it is true. It is in Microsoft's Research Lab.
There's tons of OS X, Linux, AIX, Android, iOS and other stuff in MS Research Lab - as long as they allow it to be funded that is. Whether or not it'll see a finalized release is another subject.

Its just not realized yet, and may not be. However, MS themselves honored the curiosity.
They're a big company, with a lot of fingers in a lot of areas. Not sure what's your point here - only people that are limited to just one area/OS are Apple for the most part.

It seems like they're desperate for a piece of the mobile market, so they should've either acted sooner, or offered better products, or just become a service.
Quite the reach. I think you're overlooking the effects of the outgoing CEO and how the new CEO is turning that stuff around quickly. Ballmer was good for profits, not direction. MetroUI/Modern UI should be more than what it currently is... their mobile share while terrible, it's more than Maemo/MeeGo/Jolla. Success all depends on what your metrics are based on.

Nothing will make WP8 a success.

I mean imagine an AOSP that's stripped bare.
Add in Metro for UI, Xbox Live for games, movies and music, Windows Media Centre/Player for playback, MS Office for office, Cortana for personal assistance, HERE for Navigation, OneDrive for cloud storage, Outlook for email, Skype for messaging, Bing for Search.
You just described those clunky Nokia Android phones. Those were horrible. Metro will not be considered by any savvy or heavy users as efficient in its present form.

vs (Google's)

Material Design UI, Play Store for content, generic google media player, Google Docs for office, Google Now for personal assistance, Maps for Navigation, Google Drive for cloud storage, Gmail for email, Hangouts for messaging, Google for search.
Material Design is a much better choice to me than the inconsistent UI's out there now. It's far from perfect, but it's a good pattern to follow.

Also ecosystems for Apple, Amazon/Yahoo, and open-source ecosystem.
And now you've just jumped off the deep end.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
lune os, palm pre 2