Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
And, OT, why I haven't seen Palm Pre OS running on the N900 or viceversa?
Or even MeeGo on a Pre?

'fap' 'fap'

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
What about sounds?
Yes, they work! Including background music. In fact, Pre games usually use Vorbis music, which the Pre flawlessly supports and the N900 doesn't (heh!) without extras packages.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
And, OT, why I haven't seen Palm Pre OS running on the N900 or viceversa?
Or even MeeGo on a Pre?
WebOS on the N900 -- Same reason you don't get Maemo on any other device. Because it's not 100% OSS, and nobody has started a project to purge it from the closed stuff. As the closed vs free ratio is worse than the Maemo one, such a project would need even more work than Mer, etc..
(BTW, I know at least one person who tried to run the closed components of WebOS on the N900 with "some" success)
Meego on the Pre -- dunno. Pre kernel is open save for some DSP stuff (Texas Instruments copyright iirc).

On latest git even _cinematics_ work, so I can already play certain cool-looking racing game with a screenshot on the 2nd page of this thread!

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-10-23 at 15:42.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I want to install this but unfortunatly I don't know how. if someone could write the commands list for installing it in "/opt/preenv/" I will really appreciate it?

Ok, the package is in extras-devel, called "Preenv" 0.1. As it has no graphical user interface, you will not find it in the application manager, so you have to install from the command line.

To get games, grab your Pre and copy your application storage directory out of it (that depends on your version of WebOS and requires rooting it, so it is out of the scope of this little post). Then copy it into your N900's home directory (note: /home/user !, not MyDocs).

To enter the "Pre environment", just type "preenv" on the terminal. This will spawn another shell with the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now you can try running your games as if they were native applications (they are!). They all run fullscreen; quit them using Ctrl+Backspace.

You can also generate a menu icon for a game (like if it was a N900 game!); just run "desktopgen <path to a game's appinfo.json file>" within the Pre environment. (desktopgen needs root for obvious reasons; the rest of preenv doesn't).

Remember that this only runs "Native" applications. If an application makes use of the Mojo framework (javascript, html widgets, ...) it's no longer native. ALL OpenGL games are "native" applications, though.

Also, currently only OpenGL ES 1 PORTRAIT games will be automatically rotated & enlarged.

A screenshot with the result of running "desktopgen" on some Pre games (those two games run flawlessly):
Attached Images

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-10-23 at 22:16. Reason: misc typos

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
thanks a lot for your efforts !
how about mapping the proximity sensor + single finger scroll as virtual multitouch ? (I know this has been asked before , but now we can have a use for this !)

Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
thanks a lot for your efforts !
how about mapping the proximity sensor + single finger scroll as virtual multitouch ?
I don't know how it would work like.

Multitouch is having two or more fingers at the screen at different positions. Think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_0Oz7KOso . The proximity sensor does not get position info!

(btw, that one game also works nearly flawlessly -- save for not being able to move and attack at the same time due to missing multitouch, which makes it a bit harder but still quite playable. it is also a bit slower than the original one, because preenv makes it run at 800x480. the startup cinematic also works.).

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-10-23 at 22:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Stupid idea....

I understand the legal aspects of "you must own a pre to do this" but...

EA wants to sell games. Have you thought about approaching EA and showing them how easy it is to expand their market? Of course I guess it could backfire and they could DRM the heck out of their games. But it sounds like a major opportunity for them.

If a hacker without any "inside" knowledge of their code can get them so functional with such little effort, why wouldn't they tweak their games a little and make them available in OVI?

Or am I crazy...?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djs_tx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
EA wants to sell games. Have you thought about approaching EA and showing them how easy it is to expand their market?
Oh well, that's what I would have really wanted, and the reason I waited a lot of time from noticing the similarities between the Pre and the N900 to starting the project. I was optimistic in that maybe we could see something similar from Nokia "soon".

Well, it didn't pay.

Even more depressing: from a technical point of view, EA could port _all_ of their games in an afternoon in man-hours. In fact, that's the time _I_ spent from having "just" the idea to actually seeing the Sims running!

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-10-23 at 22:43.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
i cant find it. I tried to do it via xterminal too, no luck.

Tags
bada rox, chuck norris, phone, preenv, webos