thanks for everyone's comments here, all taken onboard.

Karel, I don't think I have any obligation to maintain the privacy of someone who has written an unsolicited PM to me of that nature. It's certainly NOT an atempt on his/her behalf to initiate a private conversation is it? It's a cowardly attempt at bullying and nothing else. Why shouldn't I bring it to the open with the intention of seeing if this person has behaved like that before?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I tend to think that anyone who sends abusive private messages (thus breaking the forum rules) loses any right to privacy, whether it be in the public forum or by forwarding the message unasked to a third party (ie. Reggie/RogerS).

People who are internet cowards and think it OK to direct abusive or threatening language at other members through the Private Message system should not be afforded the same rights or respect that we give to everyone else.
I totally agree with all of that.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's an interesting argument, that sending an abusive, unsolicited PM causes the sender to forfeit the privilege of PM privacy in that case. Do we need a poll?

Carry on, flareup. Or can I use the new sobriquet f-up? Much shorter.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
This belongs in "off topic", please try and stick to the right sections......

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I tend to think that anyone who sends abusive private messages (thus breaking the forum rules) loses any right to privacy, whether it be in the public forum or by forwarding the message unasked to a third party (ie. Reggie/RogerS).

People who are internet cowards and think it OK to direct abusive or threatening language at other members through the Private Message system should not be afforded the same rights or respect that we give to everyone else.
That is basically fascist thinking. It may be with the best intentions in mind, but I find such a train of thought abhorrent.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's an interesting argument, that sending an abusive, unsolicited PM causes the sender to forfeit the privilege of PM privacy in that case. Do we need a poll?

Carry on, flareup. Or can I use the new sobriquet f-up? Much shorter.
Please let me know the result of such a poll ASAP. If it is approved, I'm gone. Like, in a nanosecond.

Originally Posted by flareup View Post
thanks for everyone's comments here, all taken onboard.

Karel, I don't think I have any obligation to maintain the privacy of someone who has written an unsolicited PM to me of that nature. It's certainly NOT an atempt on his/her behalf to initiate a private conversation is it? It's a cowardly attempt at bullying and nothing else. Why shouldn't I bring it to the open with the intention of seeing if this person has behaved like that before?
Because the person who sent you the message clearly did NOT want to address you in public which, if nothing else, might allude to a certain politeness on his side. Nothing in what he wrote could possibly compel you to make it public, other than the simple fact that you did not like what he wrote. Is the "delete" button that hard to find on your keyboard?

[Deleted remark by Milhouse that I feel quite uncomfortable to paste back in]

I totally agree with all of that.
Yes, I was afraid you would.

Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
This belongs in "off topic", please try and stick to the right sections......
I don't think it even belongs there...

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Because the person who sent you the message clearly did NOT want to address you in public which, if nothing else, might allude to a certain politeness on his side.
Hmm. Maybe you got something out of that little missive that I missed.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
That is basically fascist thinking. It may be with the best intentions in mind, but I find such a train of thought abhorrent.
Maybe so, but bear in mind this is _only_ a web forum about internet tablets and we're not discussing nor promoting real world behaviour or practice!

Fascist or not, I don't think it fair that people should be able to hurl abuse with impunity and take refuge behind a "private" message system. Abuse is not permitted on this forum, and should not be tolerated, and anyone who resorts to such abuse has already decided that they don't want to play by the social norms we all observe in which case having their abusive private message published in public is fine by me.

If you don't like it, don't send abusive messages!

Not that I'll presume to tell anyone else how to compose private messages, but I learned long ago not to put anything into one that I'd be uncomfortable revealing in public... unless it was sent to an admin, of course.

I had one of my PMs revealed here by one of our more colorful characters. No biggie. Nothing embarrassing to me in it. Note that my sentiment there in no way supports this as a common practice. I don't think anyone has advocated that, in fact.