Active Topics

Back in the early 770 days there were a couple of people on here interested in using the BBC online video streams (still only ever worked in the 'low quality' mode, but they worked).

Anyone had problems since the OS upgrade? just won't work for me at all now, and in the "preferences" bit on the beeb site it won't allow me to click on realplayer, and gives a message along the lines of that I have no suitable client to use to view. Anyone else?

Bit annoying as they've got a rolling news stream of news 24 channel now, which would be nice to use!

while I'm at it, after living with the OS pdate for a few weeks the battery life seems shorter rather than longer, and although I've altered the setting the thumb-board still seems to dislike coming up in large format.

Hmm, when I visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcnews24 on my tablet, and then click the 'Watch Live' button near the top left corner it opens a new window, which bbc content often displays in - the average player, then it displays buttons which look like a film reel, when clicked they open the stream in the preinstalled video player for me

ps, even works in full screen - although rather low quality - to be expected I suppose.

I had the same problem after the upgrade - not being able to set the pref to real-player. Got it working using mozilla browser, but you have to turn the browser plug-ins off (shockwave flash etc) when at the BBC prefrences page.

This is done using the bottom right icon on the browser toolbar -> plug-ins

Still only supports low-bandwith stream btw.

so gbm it works ok for you as it should, but then rufus has the same thing as me. I'm not using the mozilla yet, but find it strange that works and the opera didn't for you either (when it worked fine before)

Anyone else? Is this a reportable bug or somthing easily sorted?

Another work-around that seems to work in Opera is to turn off Javascript and refresh the BBC's preferences page.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Yep, turning off JavaScript is the solution.

I posted that somewhere else, with explicit instructions. If you need it, you can search for it yourself ;-)

thanks piecaff & aflegg, that was indeed the solution.

Can someone tell me why though? Javascript was previously enabled wasn't it, when it worked before? and it's a little annoying to have to choose between watch beeb vids and using things like that stopwatch link posted recently... is this an opera thing, something changed at the bbc site or what? I don't reall understand why having javascript enabled would make the bbc site think my 800 doesn't have realplayer?

anyway, cheers for the solution, it's what makes this place great

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
My guess is that the BBC have changed the sniffing on their preferences page, and it now disables media options it doesn't think you support.

So it then uses JavaScript to disable the options.

This is particularly silly when the purpose of the page is to override what it auto-detected.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Has anyone contacted the BBC about this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I, too, have been having great difficulty with this. Thanks to the help here I have persevered.

This is what does it for me with Mozilla Browser

Install MPlayer – it didn’t work until I did.
Prior to selecting the video make sure that the Plug-ins Browser Default and Shockwave Flash are disabled
Select Video
Tap Preferences in top RH corner, select Standard Quality and RealPlayer
Tap OK to save
Tap Launch in Stand Alone Player
Comments: The disabling of the Plug-ins and the selection of Quality and Real Player settings may need to be checked each time you come to play a video. It seems to me that they can slip. In fact you may want to re-enable the plug-ins anyway after finishing with the videos.

I hope this is of help to someone.