why did Nokia hide the FM radio feature originally?

and still doesn't list it as part of functionality....

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by james.bottomtooth View Post
why did Nokia hide the FM radio feature originally?

and still doesn't list it as part of functionality....
To come over as a non-evil corporation that gives stuff away to its customers/users.

Duh...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm betting that the FM radio was one of those "if we get it working, great, if not, it isn't a core feature" and was given low priority. If development on a nonessential feature lags, ship the device and surprise the buyers later. Note that this is NOT an official statement. I was surprised, too.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Keeping the FM function "unofficial" could also suggest that the external antenna requirement is recognized as a usability issue in terms of customer expectations. People are used to small portable radios working as-is (even if extending a built-in antenna improves reception) and won't necessarily be happy about this constraint, even if they look far enough to find the explanation. Leaving it off the feature list means one less source of "bug" reports. Better to deliver more than you promise, than to promise something you can only partially deliver.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
FWIW, in my experience it's fairly standard for small, portable FM tuners to use (require) the headphones for an antenna (AM is a different matter).

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@rcull: Thanks for the tip about alarmtool!
I haven't tried it yet, and there's a lot of other experimenting I'm not done with (had to sleep a bit too..), but one thing I noticed is that it appears to be always starting up in earbud mode.. for it to work as a clock radio it should start in speaker mode, or, to be precise, it should always start in the mode it was last set to. At least it seems to switch to earbud mode when I put in the antenna, haven't yet tried to leave it in and stop/start.

As for the sound level, it seems ok if I listen to the earbuds, but the speakers sound much lower to me than the internet radio, at the same volume settings. Strong stations are louder than weak stations, but still not very loud.
Has anyone figured out how to have the FM radio either start up with an alarm or even better for me, automatically record an FM program for later listening, i.e., time-shifting. (Sometimes there is no internet radio version; sometimes there is a long delay before a podcast is available.)

Thanks.

If the source for these apps. were made available we could just fix all these user requirements ourselves instead of sitting on our butts and wait for Nokia. Sigh. Beating a half-dead horse, I know..

(I anyone knows something about source repositories that has passed me by, please let me know )

here is a thought, does anybody know if this is possible?

the n800 is equipped with an fm radio. this is cool and all, but i just installed ukmp and in my opinion browsing through cd's is way better than listening to commercialized music. Is there a way to utilize the FM radio and write software to turn it into a FM transmitter. It would be really slick to be cruisin in the car and wirelessly jam out to my mp3's

I dont know how any of the electronics for a transmitter works, but i thought i would just throw my idea out there

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by elwood grain View Post
here is a thought, does anybody know if this is possible?

the n800 is equipped with an fm radio. this is cool and all, but i just installed ukmp and in my opinion browsing through cd's is way better than listening to commercialized music. Is there a way to utilize the FM radio and write software to turn it into a FM transmitter. It would be really slick to be cruisin in the car and wirelessly jam out to my mp3's

I dont know how any of the electronics for a transmitter works, but i thought i would just throw my idea out there
I don't think it's possible to turn an FM receiver into a transmitter with software.

OTOH, there a quite a lot of FM gizmos on the market that will plug into the N800's 3.5 mm jack and transmit stuff to your radio. Some of them cost less than a moderate quality pair of earphones.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Steamy Hilo, HI
Unfortunately the earphone volume on the n800 is really weak, and would be very difficult to hear on a typical city street. I may try noise-cancelling earphones, but I'm wondering if it's possible to get much more volume out of higher quality earphones?