Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
*Sigh*

Yes, and if Nokia would have implemented a built-in beamer the N900 could also have been used as a stand-alone presenting device, but they didn't! Shame on Nokia!

Really though, your remark is off-topic since we are talking about what can make the device a desktop computer replacement, not what can't. Getting really tired of people spamming their frustrations at random places. Please complain somewhere else, thanks
But NOKIA did not include USB OTG support!

The Following User Says Thank You to ankit255 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ankit255 View Post
But NOKIA did not include USB OTG support!
IT may not have USB OTG, but perhaps someone could use something like in this video..

It shows and n800 and n810 using a usb flash / pendrive and external hardrives. No doubt it could also be used for keyboards and other USB Hosts etc....If only the app was ported to the n900.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
IT may not have USB OTG, but perhaps someone could use something like in this video..

It shows and n800 and n810 using a usb flash / pendrive and external hardrives. No doubt it could also be used for keyboards and other USB Hosts etc....If only the app was ported to the n900.
Worse part is n800/810 (which are supposed to be predecessors of n900) have USB OTG... WTF?

The Following User Says Thank You to ankit255 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA

Ahem.

I have an N800 and I *HAVE* used an external USB keyboard, hard drives (hehe... once hooked up my 1TB to it with no problem), flash drives,etc.

THAT is USB host mode (or USB OTG mode). The N900 doesn't do it, last time I checked.

Using the N900 as a Desktop computer replacement
Thumbs up!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wert View Post
Thumbs up!
Where? Watch where you do that. Is there a dock or something that made you say that?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ahem.

I have an N800 and I *HAVE* used an external USB keyboard, hard drives (hehe... once hooked up my 1TB to it with no problem), flash drives,etc.

THAT is USB host mode (or USB OTG mode). The N900 doesn't do it, last time I checked.
I was not saying that n900 had USB OTG, I meant that maemo 5 needed a port of the app shown in the vid to read USB drivers. Additionally the USB to USB connection could always be bought online or in a store (I currently own one)...

I am however curious, is the app used by n800 for USB OTG open source? I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
If USB host works these monitors require only one USB connection and low power input:

http://www.amazon.com/9IN-LCD-1024X6.../dp/B002Q0WNMU

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
I was not saying that n900 had USB OTG, I meant that maemo 5 needed a port of the app shown in the vid to read USB drivers. Additionally the USB to USB connection could always be bought online or in a store (I currently own one)...
What does "read USB drivers" even mean? We need USB drivers written, or rather fixed, to make USB host mode work. The app in question only tells the kernel to use host mode or client mode; if you don't have the kernel-mode functionality working, it won't work (and this is the case today), and if you do have it working, the app is just a nicety to let you do it by one or two taps instead of typing commands in a terminal window.

And yes, it's open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Never mind just found out the n900 simply cannot have USB OTG since it can only take in electrical input.

Or in other words, the n900 does not support USB host mode because it cannot supply its own power to read the Device (flash drive) on the other of a cord, it can only take in electrical input. So it's never gonna happen.

EDIT: Just saw someone said it was possible, and he was working on it...but progress seems to be lost...

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-07-28 at 03:59.