Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE GODDAM SYSTEM VOLUME.

tried with built-in clis:
pulseaudio-utils, alsamixer, amixer

tried with c libraries and all audio APIs i found in the developer api:
qmediaplayer, phonon.audiooutput.

this should SO not be difficult. anybody know how to do this? {programmatically adjust the system volume, such that the slider in the status bar also moves with it}
Have you asked thp?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
key features are missing, like music-control and HtheB-style-volume-control, and its a ***** to install and run because it needs super-privileges.
Never heard of inception before? You have super priviliges if you incept the package. You can make a special version for inception users, so we can activate this.

Inception

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Never heard of inception before? You have super priviliges if you incept the package. You can make a special version for inception users, so we can activate this.

Inception
thanks, but i know about inception;
'
this will be the first one that will work out of the box {maybe just for inception-users and open-moders, but ill do my best to make it work for anybody that can use a terminal and follow instructions in it once}.
'

the thing is that you currently need to use a terminal, and set up an upstart file that manages your path depending on how you have it set up. power users will have it set up differently, and non-power users will have know idea how to do it at all.

im hoping to make this app-store-able, which inception makes impossible. also, even using inception, i make a lot of privileged shell calls so im going to need to use aegis-ctl as well.

n9-button-monitor works very nicely out of the box, but just for open-moders right now, and anyone who knows how to use aegis-ctl when permission errors occur. {i dont know what permission errors youd get, because i havent run it on a non-hacked kernel yet}

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
thanks, but i know about inception;
'
this will be the first one that will work out of the box {maybe just for inception-users and open-moders, but ill do my best to make it work for anybody that can use a terminal and follow instructions in it once}.
'

the thing is that you currently need to use a terminal, and set up an upstart file that manages your path depending on how you have it set up. power users will have it set up differently, and non-power users will have know idea how to do it at all.

im hoping to make this app-store-able, which inception makes impossible. also, even using inception, i make a lot of privileged shell calls so im going to need to use aegis-ctl as well.

n9-button-monitor works very nicely out of the box, but just for open-moders right now, and anyone who knows how to use aegis-ctl when permission errors occur. {i dont know what permission errors youd get, because i havent run it on a non-hacked kernel yet}
I don't think it being app store useable is that important. I think once the idea is implemented it's easier to work from there.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Hi there, I'm not succeeding with your script.

I installed xresponse, x11-utils, python-qmsystem, python-qtmobility.multimediakit, python-qtmobility.systeminfo, python-pyside.qtgui and python-pyside.qtcore (is "deps" a package?). Then I created the file /usr/bin/n9-button-monitor containing v0.4 of the script. I gave this executable rights. I also created the .conf-file, and your autostart script in /etc/init/apps (/etc/init isn't writeable).

This is the output from "devel-su -c 'python /home/user/MyDocs/n9-button-monitor'":
Code:
torch on
Permission denied: opening file /home/user/.omap3cam
Starting camera without viewfinder available
auto shut-off
torch off
After I've locked the screen and pressed VOL+:
Code:
2: long-start
torch on
running cmd "xprop -root _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW"
running cmd "xprop -id 0xe0006e
 WM_COMMAND"
2: long-stop
torch off
running cmd "xprop -root _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW"
running cmd "xprop -id 0xe0006e
 WM_COMMAND"
Nothing happens... What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by GuSec; 2012-04-06 at 07:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to GuSec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GuSec View Post
Hi there, I'm not succeeding with your script.

Nothing happens... What am I doing wrong?
first, thanks! youre the first person to try it out in the wild and tell me about it.

so, thats a root permission that i didnt realize that aegis didnt give you by default.
ive been testing it mostly on open mode, and i forgot to test the camera flash on closed mode since i changed it.

for a solution, it is probably sufficient to just run develsh first.
i.e.:
# devel-su
PASSWORD: {rootme}
# develsh
# python /usr/bin/n9-button-monitor

please lemme know if that does it, and ill update the instructions. thanks again!

first, thanks! youre the first person to try it out in the wild and tell me about it.

so, thats a root permission that i didnt realize that aegis didnt give you by default.
ive been testing it mostly on open mode, and i forgot to test the camera flash on closed mode since i changed it.

for a solution, it is probably sufficient to just run develsh first.
i.e.:
# devel-su
PASSWORD: {rootme}
# develsh
# python /usr/bin/n9-button-monitor

please lemme know if that does it, and ill update the instructions. thanks again!
Now it worked just fine and did exactly what it was supposed to do! It's a bit slow though, which matter most with the camera, but it may be affected by a simultaneous execution of the non working start script.

So how do I rewrite the start script to grant the correct permissions?

The Following User Says Thank You to GuSec For This Useful Post:
Now it worked just fine and did exactly what it was supposed to do! It's a bit slow though, which matter most with the camera, but it may be affected by a simultaneous execution of the non working start script.

So how do I rewrite the start script to grant the correct permissions?
just do devel-su -c "develsh -c 'CMD'".

try this to get it to auto-start at boot {i havent tested it on closed mode}.

/etc/init/apps/n9-button-monitor.conf
Code:
description "Startup script for n9-button-monitor"
author "elliot.wolk@gmail.com"
console none
respawn
exec bash -c 'source /etc/profile; PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; develsh -c n9-button-monitor'
there are 3 things that make camera actions slow:
1) the click delays {for single/long click actions, you have to wait a half second before they start. for double-click actions, you have to wait .75s. for treble-click, you dont have to wait at all, since there is no quadruple-click actions.}
this is very solvable, if you only do long-clicks, partially solvable if you never double-click or treble-click, and unsolvable if you ever wanna do double-treble clicks.

2) the condition detection {figuring out whether youre actually in the camera app, or on the screen-lock, etc} this is not particularly solvable , unless you dont mind weird behaviours in other apps {for instance, the camera-snap would make volume-up click the screen in other apps}.

3) the actions actually take time.
e.g.: the camera submodule is slow to initialize. this makes the flash bulb, for instance, take 1-2 full seconds no matter what. theres nothing you can do about this.

so! if you only care about the long press actions {flashing and the camera}, you can make it considerably faster by changing the longClickDelayMs from 500 => 1. this will effectively disable all single/double/treble click actions, though.
to do this, copy the default config on the OP to /home/user/.config/n9-button-monitor.conf and change the delay. {you have to restart the program}.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
just do devel-su -c "develsh -c 'CMD'".

try this to get it to auto-start at boot {i havent tested it on closed mode}.

/etc/init/apps/n9-button-monitor.conf
Code:
description "Startup script for n9-button-monitor"
author "elliot.wolk@gmail.com"
console none
respawn
exec bash -c 'source /etc/profile; PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; develsh -c n9-button-monitor'
This did not work out (chmod 755 /etc/init/apps/n9-button-monitor.conf)! The strange thing is that "source /etc/profile; PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; develsh -c n9-button-monitor" works out just fine in the terminal, it does exactly what it's supposed to. So what's up with autostart?

Extremely useful script though! I love the way I can just pull up the phone and hold one button to get a flashlight!

This did not work out (chmod 755 /etc/init/apps/n9-button-monitor.conf)! The strange thing is that "source /etc/profile; PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin; develsh -c n9-button-monitor" works out just fine in the terminal, it does exactly what it's supposed to. So what's up with autostart?

Extremely useful script though! I love the way I can just pull up the phone and hold one button to get a flashlight!
cool! glad you like it.

maybe you dont have bash, that should be 'sh' instead.
try 'start n9-button-monitor' and 'stop n9-button-monitor'

Tags
harmattan, nokia n9