Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
As the title implies, OC'ing destroyed it. I was quite unsure whether it really is the CPU fried but it is the case. My N900 can no longer survive a 30% CPU usage for 3 minutes, it would simply freeze no matter what I do. I will then have to long press the power button, and it reboots back again. At idle state, it works. You can view hildon, and the homescreen plus oppening the contacts and the phone app perhaps, but this is the deadline. Whenever the CPU usage exceeds 30% - Death. My hardware revision is 2204, pretty unique but not perfect. What makes a bombshow is that I enjoyed OC'ing it at first to whatever I liked, even @ 1000 - 1150 it was perfect! No reboots, no crashes, no freezing, but it eventually passed out. I'm just glad I have extra 2 N900s here with me, I hearts you 2204.

It as strange as when you boot, the phone is almost permanently at 100% CPU

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
As the title implies, OC'ing destroyed it. I was quite unsure whether it really is the CPU fried but it is the case. My N900 can no longer survive a 30% CPU usage for 3 minutes, it would simply freeze no matter what I do. I will then have to long press the power button, and it reboots back again. At idle state, it works. You can view hildon, and the homescreen plus oppening the contacts and the phone app perhaps, but this is the deadline. Whenever the CPU usage exceeds 30% - Death. My hardware revision is 2204, pretty unique but not perfect. What makes a bombshow is that I enjoyed OC'ing it at first to whatever I liked, even @ 1000 - 1150 it was perfect! No reboots, no crashes, no freezing, but it eventually passed out. I'm just glad I have extra 2 N900s here with me, I hearts you 2204.
How long did you have it OC'ed?, and the speed in the period of time was?

This could be a warning to everybody of damage when at a high speed.

Mine is at 850(LV)...

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I am assuming you have reflashed it and reset to factory settings (WITHOUT restoring any backups) and also reverted to stock kernel? I find it hard to believe that your CPU is fried from OC'ing as I have yet to see one confirmed case of this here.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
This thread reminds me of another one.

You could try locking the frequency to 250MHz (or maybe even 125MHz) and see if the device can be of any use then.

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
This doesnt sound like a friend CPU. It sounds more like a cooling issues. When the CPU gets above a certain temp it shutsdown. Can you monitor the temp and see what happens to it right before shutdown.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
You sure SmartReflex is off? Just a guess...

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
Tough claim to make. It could have died even at stock speeds.

Are you going to OC your other phones?

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Scandinavia
lol. oh i have overclocked my computa, and it went bad? how can i comply? freakin ace post!

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
It's the heat that damages components not overclocking.