Notices

hey i have overclocked my phone and its on ideal settings 500min and 850 max. after overclock at first i thought the battery life improved but now it lasts for only 6 hours. with 2,3 calls and wifi and internet radio for 1,2 hours only. why is this? and i havent seen SIGNIFICANT improvement in speed after clocking. sometimes i feel its not even overclocked. my settings for ideal are locked and default profile has ideal settings. what should i do? and i have set low brightness and wifi has power saving on and its interval is set to never and phone is on 2g all the time.
thanks you. help would be appreciated

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
yasirrfc, no offence intended but why do you do this? You have proven time and time again to do stuff you don't understand and then complain when you don't like it. If you are not comfortable in getting into the innards of the OS, then you should leave well alone.

Did you even read any of the warnings about messing with the -devel repository?

I and several others have tried to help you in the past and yet you leave very little feedback or thanks.

For those that wish to help you, what are the exact steps you have taken to fix your problem? Which threads have you read to try to help yourself? What was the outcome of the steps you took?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
How old is your battery? Maybe the overclocking has nothing to do with it...
I run ideal with [500,805] for quite some time now, and battery life is pretty good.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Do you run apps in the backround? What mediaplayer do you use (if any)? Are you connected to wireless all the time? Is GPS on all the time? How old is your battery? How often do you charge it?

You can try LV settings (low power), this will make your N900 run on 250/600 but lower voltage, so longer battery life (also slower). You should install Auto Disconnect and set it up to disconnect from any network after 5-10mins. Disable BT, disable GPS, and listen to MP3 instead of internet radio. Check out your homescreen widgets and remove CPU-hogs like Facebook. Now you should last 12-14 hours with 3-4 hours of ebook reading while listening to MP3, 1-2 hours of surfing the net (with Opera 11, turbo on), 20-30 mins of calls, and 30mins of AngryBirds. Also go and get a replacement battery, or even better an external charger like the Justmobile Gum Pro, that is good for 3 charges (4400mAh).

Did you edit those presets of Qcpufreq ? If yes , did you removed 0:20,200 frequency ?

i tend to lower everything when im not using the phone [ force of habbit i guess] turn the screen brightness down to the lowest, lower the cpu to 250mhz and have smart reflex enabled, this will increase your battery exceedingly, pity there isnt an app that could do all this for me but oh well d=

gav

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Try changing your overclock settings.
If your phone can handle running at starving/modified XLV, why not?
Just keep testing and remember, the battery life on the N900 is plain awful. Thankfully the overclocking thread came, and we're able to lower the voltages.

I posted a thread with some novel battery-saving ideas here:

talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73038&highlight=dbus-scripts

hey the battery is not that old. i got the phone 1 month back so yeah. and im not running any such apps in background. yes i use wifi but for only 1, 1.5 hours. hey so on low voltage modes, if i keep the cpu to 500 and 850, then will it be more speedy and use less voltage?
thanks

Obviously you have installed somthing that is causing massive amounts of wake ups and stopping the phone going into standby. You have two choices.

1. a. Figure out how to use Powertop, top, ps, kill, apt-get remove.
b. Diagnose fault and rectify.

2. Backup your contacts and just reflash that mthfckr. Watch what you install next time around.

If you search for 'powertop' in powersearch you will find lots of threads of users attempting to 'hand hold' people through diagnosing the fault...it NEVER turns out well. (unless your name is switch_, but he had some prior linux knowledge.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
goooooooooogle, i want a pony, spoonfeed alert, tool alert, yasir the prick