Notices

i had been using fbreader pretty well for about a couple of month. but now when i try to open it, it shows busy for a while (rotating circle on top) and then just goes off. it doesn't start. i rebooted. it worked for a while. then after about an hour or so it became the same again. plus i tried looking in /usr/bin/FBReader, it says file too large cannot open. is this the problem???

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Have you tried renaming the file and seeing if the reader opens then? Maybe that file is corrupt.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

after reboot it works just fine now...waiting for the problem to reccur again. can't rename also.... when i type some other name and say accept it doesn't accept it. does this problem have anything to do with openssh client and server?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
This happens to me from time to time, not able to start it from the icon.

The fix.

Open up an x-term window and type "FBReader" (without the quotes). You only need to do this once. After this you can continue opening it from the icon as usual.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
For extremely large medical books, Kchmviewer is by far the best app to use for those.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
@dchky....i had done this accidently just after my 1st post....since then, fbreader hasn't misbehaved. hope this works. thanks for ur help. hope for support in future as well......

@addison...kchmviewer can't detect my chm files which fbreader can detect why? the file is around 25 mb or so...plus i guess kchmviewer is lacking portrait is it...but it's scrolling is good....anywayz i've installed it n will b using . thx a lot. (u've got ur 600th thanks! congrats)

Last edited by rasik_35; 2011-07-31 at 06:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasik_35 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I've got Cecil Medicine 23rd edition (193 megs), Harrison's 17th edition (166 megs), 5 Minute Medical Consult 16th edition (41megs), Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 48th edition (50 megs), Guyton Textbook of Medical Physiology 11th edition (19 megs), Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine 5th edition (17 megs), Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine 5th edition (35 megs), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics 18th edition (219 megs) just to some of the books I've used with Kchmviewer.

There are a few of those where it might take like 2 minutes to completely load, but once it does, the app is super zippy, though there is no portrait mode.

And yeah, FBreader can't handle any of these from what I remember.

Anyway, congrats on receiving your first thanks here in this forum!

But try to earn your next one. *lol*

Peace.