Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, I am currently looking into two things:
1. Flexible file name (using a format string)
2. How to start recording phone calls without having the app open

Don't hold your breath though. Progress is slow since I work full time AND have two small kids which means I am wasted pretty much every day and fall asleep before my kids do

EDIT: Where is the Garage page?

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-03-18 at 12:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Hi all! Sorry about disappearing for so long, I just keep getting distracted from my pasta projects...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well, I am currently looking into two things:
1. Flexible file name (using a format string)
Yes! I really should have gotten this implemented by now, I would be very grateful if you've got the time to do this...

2. How to start recording phone calls without having the app open
This is not so easy. If you want a Maemo UI, and you want the app to stay up in the background, you kind of need to do something like maybe a status menu widget. What's worse, though, is that recording audio is a processor- and memory-intensive task; your phone is doing an awful lot of work when you run this program. I'm really not sure this is something you would want running hidden in the background...

EDIT: Where is the Garage page?
I had all sorts of problems with Garage last year, so I started moving all my stuff over to Github. Here's the package page for Orecchiette:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/orecchiette/

I'm not entirely sure how maintainers are defined in the maemo.org system. There's a "Maintainters" line in the debian control file, but it doesn't seem to align with the garage or TMO user names...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I was considering this approach for background recording. Run a small daemon listening to dbus and when a phone call starts, start the main app with a parameter telling it to start recording. Would that be feasible?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm really not sure this is something you would want running hidden in the background...
I'd agree, look at all the issues recaller caused.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm not entirely sure how maintainers are defined in the maemo.org system. There's a "Maintainters" line in the debian control file, but it doesn't seem to align with the garage or TMO user names...
If you wish for others to upload packages to the repos you can allow maintainers in the garage package page. Any garage account can upload to Extras-Devel but only a maintainer can promote higher.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I was considering this approach for background recording. Run a small daemon listening to dbus and when a phone call starts, start the main app with a parameter telling it to start recording. Would that be feasible?
Absolutely! Things get a lot easier if you aren't bothering with a UI.

Again, though, I'm not sure this would be an optimal solution for the average user. The increased load on the phone is sure to drain the battery faster and possibly interfere with other running apps; I can just see users who start it running and forget that it's there wondering why their phone seems to be acting up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
A little daemon listening to dbus shouldn't cause any major slowdowns/increased battery drain - many programs are doing it without issues (proximityd, for example). The real CPU/Memory hog starts - obviously - when audio is recorded, i.e. during a call Although, AIUI, it would automatically stop (and main application get terminated, leaving only daemon alive, again) after conversation ends.

Considering, that talking via GSM/VoIP is already a huge battery draining operation, it shouldn't cause *dramatic* decrease of battery life (although, some visible one for sure). It is acceptable tradeoff IMO, especially, that people activating automatic recording should be aware of it (and can be made aware via wiki page/application description in repos). Only possible caveat lies in bugs, that could interfere with recording/main program termination - that would be standby time killer. But, it's what we (beta testers) are for

BTW, when we are at it - pretty please, *if* it moves along, don't forget about SIP (VoIP) calls. Recaller ignored them hapilly, lazy bastard.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-03-21 at 17:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
If you wish for others to upload packages to the repos you can allow maintainers in the garage package page. Any garage account can upload to Extras-Devel but only a maintainer can promote higher.
Does the above apply even if the package does not have a Garage page?

(I really need to get to grips with the upload system. I have yet to upload VU meter. I tried following the wiki but it seems so complicated... )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Does the above apply even if the package does not have a Garage page?

(I really need to get to grips with the upload system. I have yet to upload VU meter. I tried following the wiki but it seems so complicated... )

All packages will have a package page it is created by midgard when the package is built. This is where you add maintainers.

It's not too complicated when you get the hang of it.
As I said let me know if you have any questions.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Thanks, sixwheeledbeast. I confused a garage page and a package page, I thought they were the same thing. I have requested to become a maintainer and hopefully will get to the point of being able to upload updates.

For the impatient ones, here is a first taster, with three new features:
1) Orecchiette now remembers the selected audio source on exit and selects the same source on the next start.
2) A new tickbox in Preferences allows it to start recording immediately on start-up, from the last selected source (see #1).
3) The file name has a flexible format, more-or-less following the format of the Unix "date" command. So you can use a string like e.g. %Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.

The app has a built-in documentation feature (well done, Copernicus!) which has been updated accordingly. It might be a bit verbose, sorry about that. I will try to make it more concise.

Dowload the attached zip and try it out. It contains just the compiled binary. Warning: it was built on the phone with CSSU and, as peterleinchen noticed over here, your libstdc++ may not be compatible. That should be sorted out when a regular update through extras becomes available.
Attached Files
File Type: zip orecchiette.zip (61.7 KB, 78 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Thank you. The new features are working pretty well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording