Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
It seems qole is on vacation or something.
Could someone else please host the image before it vanishes?
I'm uploading it to dropbox. Will post public link when available!
(verified md5sum OK).

Add.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxeppgy5n9....img.lzma?dl=0

Last edited by reinob; 2014-11-17 at 09:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Just spent four days reading through this thread. I installed easy debian four years ago but didn't really understand it well. Now I see the possibilities,. Great work guys!

The Following User Says Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bloomington, IL
There is a lot of information in this thread - which image at this point is considered the most update to date/stable for running Debian on the N900 via easy chroot?

Thanks!
~Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to Jef91 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jef91 View Post
There is a lot of information in this thread - which image at this point is considered the most update to date/stable for running Debian on the N900 via easy chroot?

Thanks!
~Jeff
most up to date:
My Jessie image from here [1].
This is pretty much bleeding edge, based on a Jessie snapshot right after the freeze in early november.
It hasn't seen a lot of testing yet and due to the age difference between Maemo and Jessie needed some major ugly tweaks.
As a rule of thumb: If you know how to keep Debian testing running without breaking it you should be able to handle this image as well.

most stable:
depends on what you consider "stable". Either it's Estel's Squeeze image debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma or my Wheezy image debian_wheezy3sulu_armhf.img.lzma, both from here [2].

Estel's image is based on the quite aged Debian Squeeze.
Therefore has the benefit of being halfway compatible with Maemo in terms of software. Also afaik all the Debian software that's been tested so far works. It also has some software preinstalled that many people find useful and therefore is certainly a good start for beginners.
But it also has the disadvantage of being outdated. Debian Squeeze is not maintained anymore (don't be fooled by LTS, it only applies to the x86 architectures). So you shouldn't use this image for anything where security is involved.

My Wheezy image on the other hand is based on the current Debian stable release and therefore the software is still maintained. You should be pretty safe using it for tasks where security matters, provided you run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade first.
It runs stable for the most part but Gparted won't run at all. It also only has little software pre-installed (which might be a reason for its stability - there's little that can go wrong), so you should have a basic knowledge about using apt.
edit: You'll need kernel power for my armhf images. //edit

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3138
[2] http://qole.org/files/

Last edited by sulu; 2015-01-05 at 14:30. Reason: removed the Gimp statement since it works on Wheezy/armhf - doesnt work on Wheezy/armel or Jessie/armel/hf

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
my N900 got blank screen during installation of easy debian img package.

I followed the http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian for installation.

I used the Application Manager and installed Easy Debian. It worked fine. (I guess)

Then I clicked on the Debian Image In icon, one of those made by Easy Debian, and proceed to install
the image with Libreoffice in internal memory, so when the installation was at 96% was the last photo I took.
While, I went to do another stuffs and when I came, i saw on screen something like I should to choose Ok, or another option, but I couldnt select anything, because when I tried to take a photo of this message, the screen go blank. Blank but ON.
It doesn't seem to be a battery problem because it was connected to the charger.

So, what could be the problem?
I did not turned off or take out battery yet. Should I? or it is better to wait? (I have waited nearly 4 hs since then).
It has happened this to anyone?

By the way, one piece is missing so I can't use microSD memory.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
By the sound of it, it has not rebooted, just blanked. Unless I misunderstood.
Have you tried Ctrl+Backspace? That should wake it and bring it to the app list.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Just in case you reboot, can you reproduce the problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
By the sound of it, it has not rebooted, just blanked. Unless I misunderstood.
Have you tried Ctrl+Backspace? That should wake it and bring it to the app list.
Thanks pichlo; i tried Ctrl-Backspace, but didn't work. Also to push the power button once to end the running process, but nothing.

So, I decided to poweroff.

The Following User Says Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just in case you reboot, can you reproduce the problem?
I powered on, and started applications installed (Debian Chroot, Debian LXDE), but I got an error message about corrupt image file.

So I removed 2 files on /home/user/MyDocs :
debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma and other similar name.

The steps I followed :from http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

Install instructions
1-Install the easy-deb-chroot package. found in the Extras repository.
2- Go to application menu and run the application called "Debian Image Installer". A terminal program will open and guide you through several steps of pre-configuration:
-First screen will give you a warning which you should acknowledge by clicking OK.
-Second screen will ask you to Choose an image to download and give you 3 image options. (i chose debian with libreoffice)
-Third screen will ask you to Choose where to place the image file ( i chose MyDocs, the internal memory of the phone) ..That will start the download of the compressed image (about 300 MB) and eventual extraction of the image file. It may take more than 15 minutes to download if you have fast Internet connection, and another 30 minutes or more to extract it on your tablet. Make sure that there are no other processes running and that the extraction is not interrupted. (till here.)

Now I got an error: when running Debian Chroot, Debian LXDE:
MISSING DISK IMAGE. ERROR! You have no debian img.ext2 file on your memory cards. Please use the Debian Image Installer in Extras.

I guess it's expected since I deleted it manually debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma and the other file.

The guide mention another way, manually download the image file. What would be better, try that or try again from the cell using Deb Img Install?

I think I never used the image downloader script. I've always downloaded my images manually.

You can find most of the image files here:
http://qole.org/files/

Just extract them to your µSD card or MyDocs partition and enter the path to the extracted image in the /home/user/.chroot file.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze