Hi there.
My phone stopped working right (the battery ran out and when I try to charge it it turns on and off still. I charged the battery in the other way, then tried to turn on the phone and it only shows NOKIA and goes off after about 20s. I reflashed it twice [only with FIASCO, because VANILLA erases everything I store in my phone, and I do not want to do this because I do not have a complete backup-I added a lot of contacts during last few days, and last backup is about one month old], nothing has changed after flashing.
I want to reflash it completely (VANILLA + FIASCO), but first I need to retrieve contacts and some other stuff.

The question is: how can I do that? Flasher does see my phone, Nokia Suite does not (because phone is not turning on, it only shows NOKIA and goes off.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by siersciaty View Post
Hi there.
My phone stopped working right (the battery ran out and when I try to charge it it turns on and off still. I charged the battery in the other way, then tried to turn on the phone and it only shows NOKIA and goes off after about 20s. I reflashed it twice [only with FIASCO, because VANILLA erases everything I store in my phone, and I do not want to do this because I do not have a complete backup-I added a lot of contacts during last few days, and last backup is about one month old], nothing has changed after flashing.
I want to reflash it completely (VANILLA + FIASCO), but first I need to retrieve contacts and some other stuff.

The question is: how can I do that? Flasher does see my phone, Nokia Suite does not (because phone is not turning on, it only shows NOKIA and goes off.
First of all (not trying to be a critic of your methods) if you added a lot of contacts "during the last few days" don't you have them written down or on another device (phone), computer or web service ? The same goes for "some other stuff". With that out of the way, I have noticed for quite some time that most people on this forum have moved on to the other devices such as the N9 and no longer are interested in or very rarely answer most questions related to the N900 except for a few die hard users. Apparently the latest and greatest is more popular. Try to use a Nokia 5800 phone or similar which uses the same battery to fully charge your N900 battery and then start from the beginning. Do only one thing at a time, for example: Flash the phone first and test it before you start to add a bunch of other stuff to it to make sure it is working properly. Don't load a bunch of programs onto it and then expect it to be stable especially if you download from the testing repositories. As for contacts try using an online service of your choosing (I use Google to store my contacts) which then allows you to download them to your existing phone or a new phone when the time comes. I hope this can save you some aggravation in the future. Just trying to help !

Thanks for advice, but:
I do use google contacts and do backups before I do something important, but syncing with google did not work well, so I do not have any auto updating google contacts when I add any contact to my phone (I add them later manually, I haven't done this yet with some). If I had those contacts anywhere else, I would not bother you.
By other stuff I mean some important documents and photos that I need at work.
I used the charger that can charge only the battery (without the phone) and it went well - it is not the problem.
I am not the guy who adds 1000^1000 apps and run them just to check - I had only those which I need, I really do know how to use that phone, I just forgot to charge it (and as I know - it often ends like this-the phone does not get up).

So, once again: can anyone tell me, if I can get any files from my phone? Please... ;]

Edit:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Using_Rescue_Initrd I think that is the answer, I'll try to use it tommorow.

EDIT 2: Edit 1 WORKS! ;]

Last edited by siersciaty; 2012-03-16 at 03:15. Reason: sth new!