Hello people,

I was wondering why can't maemo have a authentication mechanism like in all *nix systems to perform any higher user operations ?

Case 1: Kid want to play games in n900 => so open the games and hand it over to them... they end up messing with settings of the phone

Case 2: Not so close friend wants to make a call with the phone, he ends up browsing messages and pictures ....

The platform allows operations like settings change, install/uninstall applications or any other application for that matter to work behind an authorization layer like what sudo will do in debian

The Following User Says Thank You to raviepic3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
There are two (or more?) programs you can download which can lock on a per application basis.
I've never used them so I'm not entirely sure of their functioning, but I remember at least one of them getting good reviews.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ffha View Post
There are two (or more?) programs you can download which can lock on a per application basis.
I've never used them so I'm not entirely sure of their functioning, but I remember at least one of them getting good reviews.
Are you refering to Applock ?

Installed this and tried it out - but its not working..

When i add an application to the lock list... and when i try to access the application it never asks for the code - the app opens straightaway

And looks like there is no maintainer anymore !

Tags
access control, privacy, security