Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I recall reading somewhere that MeeGo was closely targeted to a small subset of ARM and Intel processors. The jist of it was that AMD processors were to be left out in the cold.

This story seems to indicate that AMD is going to roll up its sleeves and "come get some" MeeGo.

From the article:
"MeeGo represents an exciting, open-source mobile operating system we expect to be adopted by mobile and embedded device makers over time," said Ben Bar-Haim, corporate vice president, software development, AMD. "We are glad to provide engineering resources to joint industry efforts like MeeGo and expect that this operating system will help drive our embedded plans and create expanded market opportunities for our forthcoming Accelerated Processing Units."

"Built from the ground up for a whole new class of mobile computing devices, MeeGo gives companies like AMD and its partners unlimited opportunities to accelerate innovation for the next generation of computing," said Jim Zemlin, executive director at The Linux Foundation. "As an existing Linux Foundation member, AMD will be an important and valuable contributor to the MeeGo Project."

I've been using AMD processors in my desktops since 386/40Mhz days. So, I am glad to see them jumping on. The more the merrier. Having a second processor manufacturer providing expertise and assistance ought to make MeeGo a truly cross-platform OS in a big hurry.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Why not?

MeeGo is x86-friendly, which means AMD can have some fun too.

edit: Just realized, this news comes right after Nvidia declares that Google tablets are the future.

Last edited by m0da; 2010-11-16 at 02:42.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
This is great news. Meego needs to gain the "critical mass" to get into the game with Android in tablet scene. AMD joining as one of the heavyweights into Meego camp is really helpful.

I believe AMD doesn't have much (any?) relationship with Android so the adoption of Meego sounds the right thing to do. Once they have added supporting bits to their upcoming Fusion HW the Fusion platform should become very attractive for OEMs to build Meego tablets!

Wishful thinking? I hope not...

Probably a reactionary movement to Intel working on the Meego project. Now they just need to get software developers on board.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Well the way I see it MeeGo now supports all the major computer-types:

ARM
Intel (think Z-series, N-series, SU-series, 640UM)
AMD (we'll see what mobile chips they can bring)

The only thing left out are the "other" chips, ie MIPS based computers (eg PS2).

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-11-16 at 06:23.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
The only thing left out are the "other" chips, ie RISC based computers (eg PS3).
ARM is RISC.

The question is whether MeeGo will be ported to other architectures like MIPS and PowerPC, and the answer is always "maybe," provided there is a company or group willing to forge a compliance spec and make sure the reference implementation is functional.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
ARM is RISC.

The question is whether MeeGo will be ported to other architectures like MIPS and PowerPC, and the answer is always "maybe," provided there is a company or group willing to forge a compliance spec and make sure the reference implementation is functional.
You're totally right, I was gonna type MIPS when my mind was thinking RISC. Thanks, I've changed my post to reflect it.

Btw there are numerous types of "other processors", all of which are weird hybrids/successors of RISC, MIPS and Power -type processors. So "MIPS" is just the tip of the iceberg but an iceberg we don't need to consider.

I just hope MeeGo will be available on ARM, Intel, AMD which it will be ... there is no need keeping a PS3 behind on version 3.15 to use OtherOS and trying to install MeeGo/Ubuntu.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I'm wondering is: How does the increasing support for MeeGo compare to Android and the support Android sees from HTC, Samsung and thelike? In my world, it's Android and MeeGo fighting on the same battleground. Symbian and iOS are maybe in the same war, but as they have different concepts, I wouldn't name them as direct competitors to MeeGo the way Android is.

So how much are the HTCs and Samsungs actually involved with Android, other than building phones running it? In other words: If you draw cycles around the words "Android" and "MeeGo", with each cycle representing a company supporting the respective system... and the size of the cycle representing the market power of the company... and the distance from the word in the middle representing the level of involvement ("how important is android to HTC, how easily could they drop it?")... how would this diagram look for both OSs?

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Great news indeed, but I'm curious how this melts down when MeeGo for sure in great deal is an Intel project. I mean, isn't it strange that AMD doesn't find that conflicting when they announce that they will jump on the MeeGo boat?
Maybe it's just the hardware part that they are going to support, drivers and stuff for their specific cpu's.
Where is TI standing in all this by the way?

I really hope MeeGo will be a great competitor to Android, ios and the upcoming Windows Phone 7. In my opinion MeeGo has the most promising and convenient development suite of them all. It's native C++ with Qt, but that probably also means the Python Qt bindings. Everything in a very nice IDE.
Would I ever buy a netbook, it will probably be one with MeeGo, and if I will ever trade my N900 for something more fancy it will probably be some internet tablet with MeeGo, for me it depends on how the N9 will "feel".
But let's see how it all unfolds, as of now it looks pretty immature.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-11-16 at 09:17.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Great news indeed, but I'm curious how this melts down when MeeGo for sure in great deal is an Intel project. I mean, isn't it strange that AMD doesn't find that conflicting when they announce that they will jump on the MeeGo boat?
conflicting: no
sign that meego could be significant thing in the future: yes.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search