Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
can you use the same material as N900's keyboard?
I just explained this is not possible within the scope and budget of this project.

Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
At least this way it would be easy to get a QWERTZ / AZERTY / DVORAK / Whatever sort of weird keyboard, as long as you can set up the keyboard layout in software.

Only problem - if I start painting the letters on my keyboard myself, it will look very unique, but NOT very professional...
Yes, that is why it is definitely the last resort option. Not preferable, just possible.

--

We will continue to investigate getting a silicone keypad made, trying to mimic the quality of a more premium one.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Silicone keypad is ok, but i would go for 3d printed blank keypads.

Blank keyboard lets users make their own keymaps without having to ask you to make additional ones. The appearance point of view is not that important as it's really for personal use and sole purpose of usability. Of course it would be nice to have fancy keylabels, but I really appreciate functionality over the appearance.

If the 3d printer resolution is good enough, you could also print the keylabels in relief.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
i am running a bit low on 'dough', so that also slows down developments. if you feel the urge to support, order some awesome stuff from my site. i will put it to good use!
Ordered some superfunky stuff from your site! ^_^ Hopefully it helps keyboard developments.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
What's the problem with 3d-printed keyboard? That's the only option, I guess. I think with mass-production you mean injection molding (spuitgieten for dutch), right?
That's out of our league, I guess. Isn't it possible to 3d-print it with a really smoothe finish? Or maybe mill it, after it has been printed?

If you could create very slight depressions in the top surface of the keys one might be able to use stickers (think the place to put initials on a briefcase/suitcase)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sid21177 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by robnas View Post
Or maybe mill it, after it has been printed?
What about laser engraving ? While it sounds rather fancy, I know it is possible to use it to engrave random stuff to almost any material (IIRC there was a video of a guy having his name laser-engraved to the lid of his notebook) with quite nice precision. So making a custom pattern corresponding to the labels and laser-engraving it to the keyboard might work.

Last edited by MartinK; 2014-10-02 at 00:09.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
What about laser engraving ? While it sounds rather fancy, I know it is possible to use it to engrave random stuff to almost any material (IIRC there was a video of a guy having his name laser-engraved to the lid of his notebook) with quite nice precision. So making a custom pattern corresponding to the labels and laser-engraving it to the keyboard might work.
Good tip!

(but under investigation for a while, needed for making multiple layouts possible)

If someone knows where I can get a relatively affordable laser engraver, let me know!

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Can someone from Jolla help out here? A proper keyboard is a very high priority for me and many others and Jolla have said the community can help in getting it made. Now that we've hit a bit of a wall, is there something that Jolla can do to help us out? Surely someone in the company has contacts with a manufacturer who can produce a 1000 decent quality pieces or so at a retail of €100.

Right now, trying to use fingerterm with its tiny, tiny buttons is slowly sucking my soul.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Can someone from Jolla help out here?
A good example of a question that is:

- good intented
- asked before and answered before
- not really helpful

Will add to FAQ.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-10-02 at 13:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Polling for idea

Early bird 'developer' rev2
- fully functional
- all white
- wooden backplate
- handsoldered #muchwork
- 3d printed blank (white) keypad
- no backlight
- 120E
- delivery time dependent on number of orders (cashflow)

this would allow me to order some components in full for a larger batch. if i go for a really large batch these models could be upgraded with new keypad, but i cannot guarantee this to be free or happen at all.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-10-02 at 15:31.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd