Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
NEWS:
After many shutdowns, tests, logs, get the N8x0 emulated in qemu to get a console, patches and kernel rebuilds, I finally located the "reboot at shutdown" bug, hidden in the arm assembler kernel code of the Diablo kernel. It's triggered by preemption at kernel level and its effects are not clear. In addition of shutting down normally, after applying the fix I couldn't reproduce the mce "screen doesn't turn off" issue, so it could be caused by this bug too.
Surprisingly, I also learned that the Diablo kernel is 2.6.21.0+omap with almost no bugfixes, while stable mainline reached 2.6.21.7 before Diablo was discontinued, so while I was at it, I imported all applicable bugfixes from 2.6.21.7, and then some from 2.6.22.x after the 2.6.21 end of line, making a grand total of 62 bugfixes.
The new feature of this kernel is the BT UART FIFO optimization patch, for people using a2dp.
Everyone is encouraged to test this kernel, specially those who use Bluetooth with headsets or for inet/transfers.

New testing kernel: Deleted

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-03-19 at 15:01. Reason: Deleted obsolete test binary

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
how do we install zimage

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
how do we install zimage
From the device: "fiasco-flasher -f -k /media/mmc1/dt/zImage" (assuming the kernel is in /media/mmc1/dt), then reboot
From your linux pc: "flasher-3.0 -f -k /whereverthekernelis/zImage -b"

from maacruz

Last edited by heavyt; 2011-03-09 at 23:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The new feature of this kernel is the bt uart fifo optimization patch, for people using a2dp.
Everyone is encouraged to test this kernel, specially those who use bluetooth with headsets or for inet/transfers.

new testing kernel: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/download.php/9413/zimage
:')

thanks!!!

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
I checked after a fresh restart and /dev/ramzswap0 is there. Is there anything I should check for next? Thanks!

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
How can I revert to the old kernel ?

Since I installed the new kernel, the device reboots when using the Tear browser, streamripper, etc.

Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
How can I revert to the old kernel ?

Since I installed the new kernel, the device reboots when using the Tear browser, streamripper, etc.
apt-get remove kernel-dt-sd

Try entering flight mode and then starting tear with a local file or just leave it running with no webpage, does it reboot? Try turning on wifi with no programs running, does it reboot?

I have the watchdog timer disabled so it won't reboot and if I turn on wifi, even briefly, my battery temp jumps 10C in a few minutes and dies in an hour or two with no cpu load.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
apt-get remove kernel-dt-sd

Try entering flight mode and then starting tear with a local file or just leave it running with no webpage, does it reboot? Try turning on wifi with no programs running, does it reboot?

I have the watchdog timer disabled so it won't reboot and if I turn on wifi, even briefly, my battery temp jumps 10C in a few minutes and dies in an hour or two with no cpu load.
With wifi on and no progs running (browserd is disabled) it also reboots, on average once a day.
I affixed the battery with a piece of cardboard at the bottom of the battery (advice of @maacruz, thanks) so it is more firmly placed and is now excluded as a reboot cause.

Can I check that really all parts of the new kernel are installed ? It seems the watchdog timer is still enabled. I installed all 11 files and this procedure seemed to work flawlessly.
But the reboot issue is still there.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
I installed the new kernel and no freezes at shutdown since, awesome!

I'm still having the issue with my swap memory though. Everything went fine with my DT install, so I am surprised that no one else seems to have this issue. Anyway, I appreciate the help and suggestions so far. After a fresh restart the /dev/ramzswap0 is there. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by jmart View Post
I installed the new kernel and no freezes at shutdown since, awesome!

I'm still having the issue with my swap memory though. Everything went fine with my DT install, so I am surprised that no one else seems to have this issue. Anyway, I appreciate the help and suggestions so far. After a fresh restart the /dev/ramzswap0 is there. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
The init script runs at startup, so the swap memory is activated, but later during the boot swap is turned off.
What setup do you have with respect to swap?

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008