Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I guess your Mac has a webcam, so just open Photo Booth and point the IR port towards the webcam and press a button on the Raemote - you should see a small light flicker inside the IR port when sending a signal (at least it does when using my Shutter widget :-)
Thanks, There is no flicker from the IR port of the N900. My mac remote does produce a flicker. The N900 is not sending IR signals. I will try the shutter widget and see if that activates the IR port. I hope its the software and not the hardware.

edit: Shutter widget reports IRsend failed: 1 Boo!

Last edited by Digbum13; 2010-03-10 at 12:09.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Some details for the "pairing" and "longpress" issues:

According to some web source (citation needed..) every "hardware" Apple Remote has a one-byte key (0-255) burnt-in that will be sent. MacBooks (I use them as example here, as I have one, I guess it's the same for Apple TV, iPod dock, etc...) by default listen to "any" Apple Remote. You can, however, "lock" or "pair" your Apple Remote with your MacBook, which means that your MacBook will only listen to the Apple Remote's key (again, one out of 256) and not to other keys.

What this means for you:
  • RĉMote only works in non-paired mode (if you paired your MacBook with your hardware Apple Remote, it won't work)
  • If we somehow get more advanced IR codes, we can "simulate" every one of the 256 different Apple Remotes out there
  • Holding a button does not work right now (because the Apple Remote does send different "repeat" signals for holding)

Some cool stuff that we can achieve, though (if we have all the necessary codes, which is just missing information ATM and not something that is limited by hardware):
  • Mac-b-Gone (let any Mac in sight go to sleep, whether or not it's paired - but only if it's running OS X, and only if it hasn't disabled the IR port)
  • Pairing (with configurable Apple Remote ID)
  • Seeking in FrontRow/iTunes (press-and-hold ffwd, rewind)

I guess it's not that difficult for people that know a bit about IR and have the necessary hardware (e.g. a IR receiver that can capture the signals from an Apple Remote). If you have an Apple Remoet and an IR receiver hooked up to lirc, please do the following:
  • Record the IR signal(s) for a long press on every button
  • Record the IR signal(s) for the "pairing combination"

Information about pairing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1619

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
Thanks, There is no flicker from the IR port of the N900. My mac remote does produce a flicker. The N900 is not sending IR signals. I will try the shutter widget and see if that activates the IR port. I hope its the software and not the hardware.
edit: Shutter widget reports IRsend failed: 1 Boo!
Please reboot your phone (Shutdown, the turn on again). It helped me with both Shutter and Raemote.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
  • Mac-b-Gone (let any Mac in sight go to sleep, whether or not it's paired - but only if it's running OS X, and only if it hasn't disabled the IR port)
Looking forward to this. *evil grin*

I tried rebooting, no joy yet.

I uninstalled everything using the IR port and rebooted. Then i did a fresh install of raemote. This time it did not show up in the widget menu so i ran the script

python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &

and i got

~ $ Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd

The widget appears on the desktop but IR is non-functional
When I try to use it, terminal gives me,

irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: connection refused

so its a socket connection problem. Off to google it now.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
I guess you could download the .deb file from here?
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...l/raemote/1.0/
I'm going back to eating my coloring crayons... Hah!

Thanks. Will install it and report back.

And, it seems to work great! Thank you, Dev.

Last edited by That One Guy; 2010-03-10 at 16:04.

Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd
That's normal. The widget simply restarts the lirc daemon just in case it has not been started yet. This should make the widget functionality more reliable.

irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: connection refused
Seems like permission problems. Also, is "lircd" running? If not, maybe something messed up the lircd.conf? Please try removing lirc with the "--purge" option to remove the config files, i.e.:

apt-get remove --purge lirc

(This will also remove the packages that depend on lirc - you have to re-install them which in turn will re-install lirc and a new config for it...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Brilliant. It seems that lircd.conf had been corrupted on line one by a previous install of qtirreco.

The --purge and a reinstall of raemote kicked its arse back into shape.

Thank you very much for the widget and the help, its great to be able to use front row without having to search for the apple thingy which is never where you left it.

Had the same problem as digibum13. Had installed irreco and qtirreco, which both didn't work. "apt-get remove --purge lirc" and reinstall of raemote solved the problem.

A suggestion: Rename the app. It's hard to find it with the search-function. Rĉmote looks cool, but you can't find it searching raemote.

Update: Played around some more. Seems like the combination of irreco and qtirreco made problems. At the moment I have only Raemote there, I can see the signal in Photo Booth, but the Macbook doesn't react. Will update, when it works.

Update 2: It works again. After some deleting, purging, reinstalling it now works again like a charm. Still a bit confused. Will try again to install qtirreco.

Update 3: Got raemote and qtirreco to work. Seems like the remotes, I used to test with my TV (lifetec) were the problem. Other work. At least with in the webcam. Now I need to find a TV to test it. (But that will be more interesting for the qtriecco people. raemotes works nice. thanks.)

Last edited by Htwo; 2010-03-14 at 15:57. Reason: Update

The Following User Says Thank You to Htwo For This Useful Post:
RĉMote 1.1 with a fixed bug tracker URL in the description has just been uploaded to Maemo Extras-Devel. It will be promoted to Extras-Testing as soon as the maemo.org Packages Web Interface allows me to do so.

Some more details to the package description that should help in case of problems with QtIrreco (when it messes up the lircd.conf file) were also added. Htwo's suggestion of modifying the app name (in the application manager) to be more searchable was implemented in the debian/control file.

..and finally the source is online now at: http://repo.or.cz/w/raemote.git (where you can also find the diff to 1.0 in case you are interested). Patches welcome!