Posts: 306 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
hi guys,

i have a question about dbus command for a specific contact.

with these command i can open the addressbook:

Code:
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr /com/nokia/HildonDesktop/AppMgr com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr.LaunchApplication string:osso-addressbook
can i add some extra code for a specific contact or is it possible to add something to open something from the submenu like "my information"?

cheers

Last edited by StocChr; 2012-11-06 at 15:25.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
***push***

Originally Posted by StocChr View Post
hi guys,
Code:
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr /com/nokia/HildonDesktop/AppMgr com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr.LaunchApplication string:osso-addressbook
did not check, but from the look of it, i'd say you'll need to send a second command, this time to osso-addressbook, to open a particular contact.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
hi. im started to play with dbus as newbie.

i found the wiki page with a lot of commands

in this page is written that:

D-Bus commands can be run from terminal or as shell scripts
The command should be run as:

run-standalone.sh SCRIPT.sh
run-standalone.sh dbus-send COMMAND

This is important to set up the environment correctly otherwise they may barf. If run as user "user" this is not needed.
what's the meaning of "they may barf"?

so if i want to run a dbus-send command from terminal, i have to add run-standalone.sh before? when is not needed? (if sudo gainroot? )

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
what's the meaning of "they may barf"?
"They may barf" is just a way of expressing that when you operate these dbus commands differently (as opposed to the instructions you quoted), the outcome and or output may be wrong, not working at all, or appear to be shaped and sound like a member of the canis family.

so if i want to run a dbus-send command from terminal, i have to add run-standalone.sh before?
You just quoted the answer in your previous post. You have two options; either put your dbus commands in a script, eg, /home/user/barf.sh, or simply invoke dbus without a script like;

Code:
run-standalone.sh dbus-send "Do show some barfing message here"

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
ok. as newbie can you clarify also why: "If run as user "user" this is not needed" ?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
ok. as newbie can you clarify also why: "If run as user "user" this is not needed" ?
Don't pay too much attention to the choice of words and phrases on this wiki page; It's a horrific nightmare for any teacher of the english language and probably beyond.

Just run your commands without switching to a root terminal and you should be fine, I think.

Tags
d-bus